Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 28, 2012, 8:28 PM   #1

Default macro lens

hi guys, im sure its been asked before but i couldnt get anything from a neutral POV so can anyone tell me what macro lens works best for my fz100, and would i also need to buy a conecting device to fit it to my camera? in other words are they sold seperately? i dont want to spend a fortune, around 50 pounds max. one i have already seen is the raynox dcr 250 lens. it is 38 pound on amazon and i was wondering if that would be a good buy?

thanks
john
Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:25 PM   #2

Canon 500D is possibly the best close up lens for the job.Besides you have the LC55 native lens for close ups on most of the FZs from Panasonic themselves.Both are rather expensive compared to the Raynox.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 2:28 PM   #3

G'day John

Nice to hear from you
Close up lenses for the FZ + other superzoom cameras come in various shapes 'n sizes and different makers sometimes call them different names

ps- some shops incorrectly call them "close-up filters" as they screw onto the filter ring at the front of the camera - however as you well know, a filter is [usually] coloured glass that does not affect focus, whereas a lens is curved-glass and does affect the focus

Close up lenses [and coloured filters] are made by 1/2 dozen companies, the common ones being Hoya, Marumi, Cokin etc etc

Firstly - early FZ's needed a tube adapter to use coloured filters & close up lenses > however your FZ100 has a 52mm diameter filter threaded lens mount, so you do not need any adapters for filters or closeup / macro lenses

Secondly - ALL close up lenses have an optical 'strength' called Dioptre
The focal length of the closeup lens is 1metre / dioptre, thus a +1 dioptre will focus at 1-metre, a +2 dioptre will focus at 1/2-metre, a +3 at 1/3-metre and so on

The beauty of a closeup lens is that it can be put onto ANY camera lens, eg a 300mm tele lens, and immediately change its focus down to whatever dioptre the close up lens is. It also means that your FZ can shoot closeups at 10x zoom or 20x zoom with the [tripod-based] camera at a fixed distance away from the subject

Okay back to your Q

The Canon 500D focuses at 500mm or 1/2-metre meaning that it is a +2 lens
The Canon 250D focuses at 250mm or 1/4-metre meaning that it is a +4 lens
The Raynox lenses follow the same numbering pattern

Each of these [along with the Panny LC55] are made from 2 pieces of glass glued together [a bit like bi-focal spectacles] and give a better quality image than a one-element close up lens. This is why they cost more than the 'simple' lenses

I have used Hoya +2 & +3 lenses for many years and have recently acquired a Canon 250D of 52mm for our FZ & G2 cameras. It is a great little addition to our collection of 'stuff'

To finish off - "IF" in the future you wanted to purchase a wide-angle accessory lens OR a tele-converter accessory lens [each costing about $300], then because these are heavy lenses, they need to be held onto the camera via the accessory tube that Panasonic makes available.

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:28 PM   #4

John,

Phil is correct that you can put a 52mm close-up filter on the end of your lens, but that will put quite a bit of weight on the lens mechanism which may not be beneficial. The usual path is to buy the adapter which is simply a tube that goes around the outside of the lens and provides a 55mm thread for the close-up filter to be located in front of the main lens.

I bought a non-genuine adapter tube for around $20 and a Marumi Achromat DHG 55mm +5 close-up lens for $57 (Ebay, out of Hong Kong). I am totally happy with the Marumi, but cannot compare with the others mentioned as I haven't used them.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:27 PM   #5

FITCIP,

Repeating what has already been said.... It is not a good idea to attach anything to the inner main lens barrel, too much weight will damage the motor.

Get the DMW LA5 adapter ring and get one of the diopters.

These are the same magnification:
1. Panasonic LC-55
2. Canon 500D
3. Raynox CDR 150

These are twice the magnification of the above 3:
1. Canon 250D
2. Raynox DCR 250

In all cases, I think the Canon is the best quality, then Panasonic close second. Raynox are quite a distance between these two, in my opinion. I use the Panasonic LC55 and really happy with it.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:29 PM   #6

g'day to my friends down under,

very useful info phil, i appreciate you taking the time to give me some extra detail. it will help me a lot in my search for a lens. also a good point mick makes about the additional weight, and as i will probably get a teleconverter at some point in the near future, i might as well get the adaptor now. thanks fellas, for your replies to my questions.

all the best, from the pommy
john
Old Jan 31, 2012, 7:44 PM   #7

hi saly, thanks for your reply also, given even more food for thought. the price on the panasonic lens is pretty good and not far from the raynox price on amazon here. but ive also seen a little bit of what i think is a deal.

Canon CU58250D 58mm Type 250D, 55.37 gbp currently half price on amazon, unually over 100. does this look like the right lens. im thinking of extreme insect close ups, and of course flower and such like. is this lens excessive?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-CU5825...8056851&sr=1-2 or is that the wrong lens all together? lol

regards
john

Last edited by FITCIP; Jan 31, 2012 at 7:45 PM. Reason: correction
FITCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2012, 8:20 PM   #8

First, you need the adapter tube LA5, which will take a 55mm diopter. So you will need a 250D in 55mm. But double check in your User Manual. There is a section in the back for "Attaching Conversion Lenses" which will tell you the exact size.

If you can find the 55mm for the price, that sounds like a very good deal. If you can't you will need a step-ring (to convert 55mm up to 58mm), which may still come out cheaper than a full price Canon 250D. Nice thing about Amazon is, if something is wrong with it you can always return it! If you want real closeup, then you should go with this one. What you could also do, is get two (+2 and +4, perhaps) and stack them. I have a LC55 and a Raynox 250, I sometime stack them to get real close. But the DOF is extremely slim and very hard to use.

Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:57 PM   #9

G'day John + others

For all of you - the FZ100 & FZ150 are designed for 'regular' filters to be attached directly to the lens barrel ... unlike earlier FZ cameras.
Earlier FZ models could not (always) accept filters due to the clash of sizes when the lens barrel retracted upon power 'off' which caused the filter to jam within the camera body

ie-

and

@John yes the CU nn 250D is indeed the CU lens needed where nn = 52mm or 58mm diameter as required > and as I posted earlier, we are using the CU 52 250D almost daily on the FZ100 & the G2's 45-200 lens

Regarding teleconverters etc for the FZ - at this point you WILL need the accessory tube to mount the lens onto the camera body

An UK site that shows & talks about them is:-
http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/panaso...rsion-lens.php

While this mob talks about safari trips etc, their site does give very good info regarding tele lenses & the adapters needed as well as photography in general

Hope this helps ...
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 3:20 PM   #10

Ah, didn't know about the filter attachment. Good to know, Phil!

But also keep in mind that using the adapter also acts as an extension tube and adds magnification to the diopter.