Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:47 AM   #1

Default Interesting Question for Panasonic Bob

The FZ10 has 4mp CCD.
But it allows you to record in 2mp mode also at pict. size 1600.

Question is:

How much of the CCD is used if I set the image size to 1600?

Are all the 4mp used or only 2mp used?
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:01 PM   #2

We're using the same surface area, but the image is down sampled.

Here's a simple way to verify that. OIS offers a certain amount of moveent correction. The inner lens element actually shifts the image to the face of te CCD chip.

At lower resolutions, assuming we only used the inner area for smaller images, the amount of OIS correction would increase. Obviously it doesn't because the face plate illumination from the lens to the chip is constant.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:59 PM   #3

Don't know if FZ10 has the same "feature" of FZ1/2 where in burst and auto-bracket modes there is no dark frame subtraction at slow shutter speeds. On FZ1 taking pictures in Night Portrait Mode with flash down and lens cap on for three different resolutions, will find, after resizing frames to same size, that the hot pixels are in the same places for all three; more or less. This would indeed suggest that on the FZ1 the full CCD is used for all three resolutions and the pictures are subsequently scaled.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:42 AM   #4

Quote:
We're using the same surface area, but the image is down sampled.
does that mean there will be less noise, as there will be more photo cells per pixel.

also does the same rule apply to the FZ1/2 at 1mp

marko.
marko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko1000
does that mean there will be less noise, as there will be more photo cells per pixel.
I donít think so. If the camera uses all of the pixels the noise is there from the CCD. When you downsample you donít reduce the noise unless you view it 100% - and that isnít a noise reduction. You just see less noise with a smaller display. Displayed at the same size I would think the noise would be the same.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 7:44 AM   #6

Quote:
I donít think so. If the camera uses all of the pixels the noise is there from the CCD. When you downsample you donít reduce the noise unless you view it 100% - and that isnít a noise reduction. You just see less noise with a smaller display. Displayed at the same size I would think the noise would be the same.
thanks, that makes sense.

marko
marko1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 2:11 PM   #7

are we sure?

I originally thought that Matshushita, bieng a leader in digital electronics, would have gone the way of grouping pixels.

Therefore to get a 2mp image out of a 4mp CCD, it would group the pixels in groups of two, which incidentally would mean that each grouped pixel would theoretically capture more light than a single pixel.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote