Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Default To shoot 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9, can't decide?

I like to shoot 4:3 because it matches my non widescreen LCD that I like to edit my photos on and fills my screen with a photo wallpaper, but I like the composition you can do with a 3:2 shot and most DSLR's shoot 3:2 so it might give the look I'm a DSLR owner. This is if most people even know the diff!
I also see the the advantage to shoot 16:9 which fills most peoples LCD monitors so pictures fill their screens. And not to mention printing photos at 4:3 matches no paper size so it's a crop no matter, not saying 3:2 is much better where it only matches 4x6!

I know the logic here and else where is shoot full MP and crop but I like to compose the shot on site when shooting so I get what I truly want. Do you all like shooting 4:3 and do you often crop to make fit and what ratio?

What to do?????

Panasonic
FZ35
FZ47
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2012, 10:28 PM   #2

4:3

3:2

16:9 (I love the 16:9 area you have to work with but sometimes height plays a problem!)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:03 AM   #3

Great series of beautiful photos Outofline!
I usually prefer the 4:3 format, so then I can to decide in post-production the format that I need more.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 1:29 AM   #4

The prob is had I shot the Girl in 4:3 I most likely would have zoomed to where she took up a big part of the frame and then a 16:9 cropping would not have been possible! And again to print it would have cut off much of her in the final print!

I have not set them up but I wonder if to set the Custom settings up one for 2:3 and the other for 16:9 and leave Ai and all others for 4:3 would make a quick way to switch back and forth! gotta play around with it!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:39 AM   #5

I shoot 4:3 which fits my screen and if I need a print, most labs print a size called 'digital maxi' adjusting the image to maxi size (6x4) without losing any detail. The distortion created by reducing the size from 6x4.5 to 6x4 is not that noticeable.
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 3:56 AM   #6

What I was thinking of doing was getting one of thse cheap sticky LCD protectors and drawing the 16:9 lines on it so you can shoot 4:3 but have the 16:9 size visible as reference.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:03 AM   #7

Martin, thats a great idea, you could draw 16:9 and 3:2! Interesting!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:02 AM   #8

I find I usually compose towards the bottom of the frame anyway. so i can crop to 16:9 on most shots. since my viewing device of choice is wide-screen tv/monitor, i do a batch crop of my keepers and then review the results. i adjust the crop on a couple, delete a few that just don't work in that format and perhaps crop square some of the portrait shots.

if you just pick an outing from the past, batch crop them all taking some off the bottom but more off the top, see how it goes. you may find that the vast majority are good enough.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:09 AM   #9

Because I only display on a wide screen PC or on a 16:9 LCD TV, I prefer to only shoot in 16:9 these days.
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:01 AM   #10

I typically always shoots in 4:3 then crop to the aspect ratio I think looks best because 4:3 gives you the best image quality. 16:9 and 3:2 don't give you the full 12MP (with the FZ35).

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote