Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:29 PM   #11

First let me say that I think this forum is probably one of the most active here at Steve's. Everyday there's new posts, mainly with photos (as opposed to simply technical discussions). Obviously forum participation has a lot to do with it. When you get lots of feedback, you feel like posting more and more. The last superzoom I bought was the FZ28. Prior to that I had the FZ18 and the Sony H1. IMO, the Sony was one of the best P&S cameras I've ever had. When I bought the FZ18 it was because I did not feel that the H1 successors were as good. Today I have a m4/3 system, which I really like but if I didn't, I'd most likely buy an FZ.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:19 AM   #12

Agree with you 100%.So is the "Panasonic Talk Forum" on dpr
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:20 AM   #13

Quote:
occasionally i flick through the other forums on here and always noticed that users of other brands such as fujifilm and nikon, post fewer pictures on their threads than us here at "pannyville".
i came across one such post asking for opinions on the comparing the fujifilm hs20 against the nikon p500. both good cameras but IMO not up to the standards set by panasonic/leica.
interesting -- I see too there are many more people viewing this panasonic/leica forum than the other manufacturers forums here. and dpreview has over two million threads vs my favs nikon threads at 600,000 'ish.

well, during my intensive camera research the past few months, i'm comparing actual stills and video from camera sites, blogs, youtube etc. -- and one thing keeps coming up over and over again -- the fz-150 appears to have overall better still shots, video, image stablizization and focus tracking than my first choice - the nikon d3100!

I think that the image quality has a lot to do with the fz-150's leica lens, and panasonic has always had a great track record with most of their electronics designs.

your opinions -- am i making the right choice dumping my favorite camera company?

Last edited by capnblinski; Feb 18, 2012 at 2:57 PM.
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 9:39 AM   #14

I wouldn't feel guilty if I were to be in your position.

MFTs mirrorless are hot on the heels of the DSLRs and set to get shoulder to shoulders and even forge ahead.

Still I would wish to have a FF until they too are rendered redundant.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:27 PM   #15

Thanks wanaclick -- definitely a tough choice as I want this camera to last as many many years -- and no buyer's remorse lol.

peace to you,
dave

~fz50 fan~
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITCIP View Post
...occasionally i flick through the other forums on here and always noticed that users of other brands such as fujifilm and nikon, post fewer pictures on their threads than us here at "pannyville".
I came to super zoom digital photography because of its great convenience. The capability provided by my FZ-10 is done so at one half the weight and nearly three times the range of just the 200mm lens in my 35mm system. My FZ-18 improved those specs and my FZ-150 has raised the bar again. My prime interest is nature photography and, blended with backpacking, the savings in weight, bulk, and the multiple rolls of film all seemed to make the switch to digital worthwhile.

But there's a long way to go. The IQ is not yet up to 35mm. It's getting there although I still can't do with digital what I could accomplish with dynamic film. DSLRs, of course, do better but then it's back to extra weight and bulk (and expense) with them. I'm content to both become more skilled with the Pannys and watch the technology catch up...I saw it happen with 35mm. I can remember when National Geographic was one of the few magazines to accept/use 35mm because of 'quality' issues and I see similar arguments in the digital vs. film discussions (which are pretty much moot, now).

But I've never understood the posting of photographs on the forums. Other than asking for help with a problem or showing what a new model camera can do in comparison to others, I've not understood the drive to post pics and have never had the urge myself. I don't think others are wrong or that my attitude is right...it's just something for which I don't have any empathy. As they say on the backpacking forums, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

In the photography world, I rarely stray too far from the Panny forums and now, the OP here about Panny owners posting more pics has me wondering about 'us' and 'me.'

For the record, I do share and play nice with others.

john
jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:47 PM   #17

Hi john - one reason IMO that Panasonic owners may be posting more of their images is that, from the info I've gathered while deciding on a new camera purchase, I've seen much sharper, more colorful images taken with these cameras as opposed to the images I've seen taken with many others, including dslr's from other manufactures.

A camera such as the fz series certainly makes one want to share superb images with others. That's one of the main things photography is all about.

~fz50 fan~
Old Feb 21, 2012, 11:13 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnblinski View Post
A camera such as the fz series certainly makes one want to share superb images with others. That's one of the main things photography is all about.
This is probably very true!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote