Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 18, 2012, 6:56 PM   #1

Default Backyard Cooper's Hawk

FZ150 and TCON-17. A few more shots below this one on Flickr. This guy and his friends do their share to thin out our sparrow population, along with the occasional pigeon, dove, anything else they can grab.

Steve

Curious by Happy_Peasant, on Flickr
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:11 PM   #2
gordymohr

Beautiful! 1st Class.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:00 PM   #3

Wow, excellent detail Steve. That camera sure is impressive.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 1:45 AM   #4

Absolutely perfect shot Steve!! Congrats
Old Feb 19, 2012, 2:27 AM   #5

Absolutely incredible shot - the sharpness and overall color looks like something taken with a medium format camera.

A question - from your signature, it appears you are familiar with these Lumix FZ-series cameras. Do you find that your other photos with these cameras to be as special?

I've been considering an FZ-150 or a Nikon D3100, and have been scouring the internet looking at and comparing the two cameras using the stills and video I find. The result has been that the FZ's shots are of a consistently higher quality than the D3100's. As much of a Nikon fan that I am - I havent seen a shot that compares to yours here and a couple others I've seen. Decisions, decisions -- this one should be a no-brainer lol.

~fz50 fan~
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 8:44 AM   #6

Thanks gordy and saly and catalex54.

And capnblinski; I know nothing at all about the Nikon D3100 so cannot say anything to compare. I do know if you are shopping that there are Flickr groups for just about every camera under the sun, and there are good photos from every kind of camera there is.

I am partial to the FZ cameras. I do well with either this one or my FZ35. As far as sharpness the FZ150 might be a bit sharper, rather, you can set the sharpness higher without getting noisy or blotchy zones in clear areas like sky and water. I think that is the different sensor compared to the FZ35. Either one comes out well with post-processing, which I do with Elements and Neat Image. Also, I find that the closer to your target the better. And have birder friends who shoot DSLR cameras with long lenses, and they find that true with their cameras too. I personally don't want to deal with a DSLR and the hassle and expense of lenses, and find that the FZ150 is just fine for me. And you would have to have shot earlier models to appreciate just how good the burst modes are on this camera.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:05 AM   #7

Excellent capture, Steve. I wonder how cameras 'fill in' the details obscured by twigs (or wires, if in cage).
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Excellent capture, Steve. I wonder how cameras 'fill in' the details obscured by twigs (or wires, if in cage).
Raghu

Thanks. I think the view goes around it from either side sometimes. The stick was on a bush and halfway between me and the bird. I have seen this before, both with cameras and telescopes.

Steve
Old Feb 19, 2012, 9:19 AM   #9

absolutely gobsmacked! steve you never put a foot wrong m8, great capture and detail. youre squeezing the best out of that 150 and making me wish i'd known about it before i bought the 100. total class!
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:31 AM   #10

Excellent shot Steve. See the Cooper's in the woods around my house but they are very difficult to get close to, well done.

jj