Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2004, 10:39 PM   #1

Default Question for Bob: manual clarification

The FZ1 manual, page 83 "Playing Back Images with a TV Monitor" says:

"Viewing images in other countries

When setting [VIDEO OUT] on the menu, you can view images on a TV in other countries (regions) which use the NTSC or PAL system.

Even if you set menu selection for [VIDEO OUT] to [PAL], the output signal is still NTSC.
"

The last statement is incomprehensible to me.
Could you please clarify?
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2004, 2:52 PM   #2

You are 100% correct - it makes no sense.
That menu item simply sets the composite video out so that it can be viewed on PAL or NTSC monitors (or TV's with A/V inputs).

I suspect that it lost something in the translation. Just curious, have you triedthis feature with your FZ1 and how did it react. Being in Canada, NTSC should be the correct setting for your area.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll share it with the folks at our Call Center - just in case!
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 3:11 PM   #3

Excerpt from www.megapixel.net review from last May
"Panasonic provides a printed manual with the FZ1. The manual covers all aspects of the camera's functions, and is generally easy to follow, but the translation is occasionally a bit confusing. For example, the section entitled "Playing Back Images with a TV Monitor" offers the following information: "Even if you set the menu selection for [VIDEO OUT] to [PAL], the output signal is still NTSC." Which could leave the user to wonder why it is necessary to bother with the setting in the first place."
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2004, 5:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic
I suspect that it lost something in the translation. Just curious, have you triedthis feature with your FZ1 and how did it react. Being in Canada, NTSC should be the correct setting for your area.
It is set to [NTSC] and works correctly.
I don't have a PAL device to test the other setting.

I would appreciate if you could find out the intended meaning.

Another interesting phenomenon:
Some FZ1s (mine included) display an image over the A/V cable in all dial modes, while others only in the [Playback] dial mode. No common cause have been found so far.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 6:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexo
It is set to [NTSC] and works correctly.
I don't have a PAL device to test the other setting.

I would appreciate if you could find out the intended meaning.
Set it to PAL and see if the picture is gibberish. If it is the manual is wrong. If it is not the manual is right and it not just the manual that is messed up. I suspect Bob is right though that it has to be a translation error.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:21 AM   #6

Some NTSC TV's will display PAL video in B&W. Others will just "tear". Ineither case, no damage will occur. I'm sure this is just a translation issue - no need to clarify this one.

Besides, they would not reprint a manual for something like this.
Thanks again.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2004, 9:19 PM   #7

I find that both my FZ! and FZ10 take about 5 sec to switch to Preview mode if they are set to PAL. They only take about 1 sec in NTSC mode, but the images are not different in PAL or NTSC.
Karl Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:21 AM   #8

Did some testing and here are the results:

When my FZ1 is in [Playback] mode, the Video Out NTSC/PAL setting works correctly (at least I assume it does since switching it to PAL resulted in a B&W and out of sync picture).

When I switch to any other (recording) mode, the Video Out NTSC/PAL setting has absolutely no effect, the camera sends out an NTSC signal regardless.

Several people (mostly FZ2 owners) reported that they get no signal at all in the recording modes.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 3:34 PM   #9

PAL ( TV STANDARD FOR ASIA, EUROPE )
pal stands for phase alternation lines(625 lines) offers more picture detail and wider luminance (color signal) bandwidth. PAL has been adopted by almost all 50 HZ (50 cycles) countries in the world.

NTSC (American TV Standard)
NTSC stands for national television standard committee which established american TV broadcast TV standard as a 525 line broadcast. NTSC system has higher frame rate which reduces visible flicker and picture noise.

At the very least, unless the picture is going to be distorted, there need to be some compensation for the number of lines. Even if this means a black bar on the screen. I'm guessing this is what is meant by saying the picture is still NTSC. (poor translation.)
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote