Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 15, 2012, 1:34 PM   #1

Default ...but no batman?

went back to where i was photographing the Parakeets today, as the sun was out this morning and the light was behind me. perfect for Parakeet snapping. alas, they were not playing ball and remained in the highest trees not coming down often enough to make the persuit worth while. but this little guy was more than happy to be photographed. in fact he was a regular model, posing and even eating his lunch no more than 4 foot away from me whilst i snapped away freehand. i was looking up at some high canope level parakeets and moved my tripod to try and improve my shot, when this guy almost landed on my shoulder. spun my tripod round for the first shot before he flew a few meters away. luckily and thanks to a quick release mech on my tripod i took the camera in hand and followed. and i rather glad i did!

i hope you like these few shots. i got dozens of him and 80% would be good enough to post. a lucky day after all!

regards,
john
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2012, 2:23 PM   #2

Two things about the last picture. One, his legs look translucent...fill flash perhaps? Two, I can't believe he stopped to pose where there's a fat nightcrawler just laying in front of him! Great pictures!
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 3:43 PM   #3

wonderful opportunity John and great photos!
Has been a very fortunate day and you managed to capture very well this beautiful winged creature. Well done mate
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:08 PM   #4

Great shots John! What great detail you got on that last one.

jj
Old Mar 15, 2012, 4:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
Two things about the last picture. One, his legs look translucent...fill flash perhaps? Two, I can't believe he stopped to pose where there's a fat nightcrawler just laying in front of him! Great pictures!
the translucency of the left leg is probably caused by the extreme back light of a low but very bright sun. it was around 1pm and the sun was very bright, i had to raise the angle a bit just to get any sort of usable exposure. and the worm soon became his lunch, i got some great pics of him polishing that off in a very fast fashion. all told i took about 100 pictures of this little chap. about 70 or 80 usable, but with some slight sign of movement in some. the rest are of him shaking that worm to peices making a meal of it. ive often been amazed how thin robin's legs are and that shot shows it to good effect. thanks for your comments mate.

also thanks jj and alex for your kind words. it certainly was a fortunate moment.

regards,
john

Last edited by FITCIP; Mar 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM. Reason: grammar
FITCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:10 PM   #6

Absolutely beautiful. Much nicer than the flashy escapees.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 5:14 PM   #7

i totally agree Talyllyn, as soon as i found this robin i lost interest in the parakeets for the day. as much as i like green fellas, robins are by far more atractive and interesting. not something you get to photograph every day either so i wasnt going to miss the chance. thank you
Old Mar 16, 2012, 2:39 AM   #8

Adorable little bird, well captured! Our robins are not nearly as cute as these.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2012, 4:52 AM   #9

Thanks saly, I've seen Robins from across the pond and they're not alike at all are they. Not sure if they're actually related either
Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:27 AM   #10

He certainly is a fine looking little bird. Sounds like you had a very good session.

Steve