Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 27, 2004, 2:29 PM   #1

Default Shutter speed and zoom

This might be a somewhat dumb question. I have no problems using the zoom and taking good shots up to shutter speeds of 1/25 of a sec. (w/o the zoom). Is it normal for the cam to have serious problems w/ a full zoom and a longer shutter speed?

Thanks for your help[/b]
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2004, 6:51 PM   #2

yes - the more you increase the zoom the slower the shutterspeed becomes. A thumbrule is this. If you shoot at 125mm you will get sharp photo at 1/125 and at 20mm wide you will have a good shutterspeed at 1/20.
BUT - most people can shoot with a faster shutterspeed. You can descide for yourself by using this rule as a pinpointer.
Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2004, 9:42 PM   #3

What Klaus Dk posted is correct for a regular camera. That is why cameras with image stabilization, like the FZ10, are becoming popular. With IS you can hand-hold it even at 420mm focal length, with as long an exposure as 1/30 second.
You could look at http://www.e-photoworks.com/albinato...67&dowhat=user for some examples.

Aviller, what camera are you talking about?
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 12:47 PM   #4

Oops, guess I should have mentioned that I use a FZ10. I've actually been able to take decent pics at 1/6 of a sec (with a 3 to 4x zoom). Might take a couple of tries but usually it works.
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 1:54 PM   #5

From my 35 mm days, the rule of thumb was that your minimum shutter speed should be 1/focal length.

So if the zoom on your digital cam was equivalength to a 200mm lens, hand held you should use at least 1/200 shutter speed. Of course you can use slower, but it increase the possibility of motion blur.

Without OIS, this would be a safe rule of thumb.
Panasonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2004, 7:46 PM   #6

Aviller,
It sounds like you answered your own question.

AS you found out, you may have to take several pictures at slow shutter speed before you get a passable one. But sometimes you have few options. The first shot in the album linked above was taken at 1/10 sec. It is just OK, but if you look at the full sized image you can see some horizontal blurring. It was taken as an example of indoor shots, that was an earlier topic.

parallel
parallel is offline   Reply With Quote