Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 29, 2012, 3:05 PM   #1

Default Lens collar for FZ150/100/48/47/45/40

Dear friends, after buying the DMW-LT55 Teleconverter I realized that the weight shifted forward, and ease of oscillations even when the FZ150 is fixed on tripod!
It 's evident the unbalance of the weight with respect to its center of gravity, obviously in this way the risk of having the micro movements or oscillations increases. But the solution exists and is called "Lens collar" or "tripod mount ring", I did several searches, even on other forums, I finally found the solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GLTv3eJ--k

I have already ordered this and should arrive tomorrow or next Monday:

Obviously it is not branded Canon, otherwise it would cost more than I paid for Teleconverter, this is a true "clone" of the original Canon and it should be sufficiently robust and fit for purpose.

I also purchased the felt adhesive to create a bit 'of a thickness within the ring (which is a bit' wider in diameter) so it should be perfect, and allow the vertical rotation, when needed!

I have not found anything, but I hope that my research can be useful to other fans on the use of telecomverters on FZ series.

I will keep you updated after receiving it and after making the necessary optimizations.

See you soon

Last edited by catalex54; Mar 30, 2012 at 3:08 AM.
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2012, 3:26 PM   #2

Mount ring arrived!!
The ring is solid and good build quality, the model compatible with the Canon 80-200mm also has the advantage of being black.
I removed the inside fine velvet, and I put a strip of self adhesive velcro black is thicker and allows a closure is very strong!
This is a series of images of low quality due to poor light and are made mainly with the flash.
Here the ring after putting the velcro tape:

And here with camera and lens mounted on the tripod, where it plays its role as a balancer weight:

I have yet to try it out, but it seems a system more manageable, solid and balanced.

Cheer
Old Mar 30, 2012, 4:15 PM   #3

Look nice Catalex.

jj
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:44 PM   #4

G'day Alex

Great find & news > thanks
Q- what is the inside diameter of the collar please? ie- what size of tube will it lock onto [for those of us who use different systems]

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 1:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Look nice Catalex.
Thanks dear Jim!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Alex

Great find & news > thanks
Q- what is the inside diameter of the collar please? ie- what size of tube will it lock onto [for those of us who use different systems]

Regards, Phil
Dear Phil, the inside diameter of the collar is about 65mm, and the Adapter Tube DMW-LA5 has a outer diameter of about 63mm, the minimum difference in diameter is easily solved with many different materials, I do not recommend the rubber to allow easy rotation vertically by loosening a little 'knob closure, it is better to use a thin tissue adhesive tape (I put the velcro) this way you also have the certainty of not ruining the metal adapter. (For the outer diameter of the tube adapter for FZ35, ask to Saly)

Regard, Alex

Last edited by catalex54; Apr 1, 2012 at 2:00 AM.
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2012, 5:06 PM   #6

Thanks Alex

I was thinking of other systems - dSLR lenses of say, 50-300 that do not have a tripod collar and thus may be able to be retro fitted

All together a very nice solution
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7

I've been looking for this exact size tripod collar ring for my Rokkor-X 300mm lens.

http://500px.com/JonErdmann
Jon_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 6:28 PM   #8

I need one! I was using my LT55 on a tripod today, and it kept nodding down! I will have to look for one. Is the diameter adjustable so it can take larger lenses? (I guess smaller lens would work if you insert a spacer of some sort).

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 1:22 AM   #9

Maybe a little more than large lenses can be inserted by loosening the locking screw, certainly Security is the fact that those little smaller, work if you insert a spacer of some sort