Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2012, 3:13 PM   #1

Default HDR, mission impossible...

hi friends,

today i visited Dover Castle in kent. Henry VIII's fortress home and "lock and key to england" during many seiges and battle, most famously WW2.
unfortunately it was raining and very grey today. clouds were a problem. they either ruined to light or if i chose a different mid tone area to focus on i got whited out skies. so i had a notion... i took 3 images from a fixed point using the auto bracketting feature on the fz. then used photomatix to merge the 3 images to try and salvage some kind of HDR picture.

the first image is just in p mode and a single exposure, as i would have taken it on a good sunny day. then maybe just adjust the skies temerature a bit to make it appear more blue. however these skies were so obviously cloudy i decided to run this little experiment instead.

i toyed with the results but im still not happy and dont think this is very HDR at all. where am i going wrong? were the original 3 exposures simply not good enough? was i not using the right settings? im at a loss, so any advice would be gratefully received.

i dont plan on becoming an HDR enthusiast but i would like to get it right just once lol

regards,
john
Attached Images

Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:07 PM   #2
gordymohr

Ive never been satisfied with any of my hdr attempts, its a fine line between getting it right and over doing it I think. One thing I dont like is the way it turns the grass a weird colour.

Did you get any shots closer to the castle?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 4:35 PM   #3

Can't offer any help John because of have never tried it. It did bring out more detail in the sky.

jj
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:20 PM   #4

got a few shots a bit closer gordy, but next week we are going into the castle itself and from within the grounds i will get some much better shots. i know what you mean about the grass too. i think HDR is a selective taste lol
Old Mar 31, 2012, 5:58 PM   #5
gordymohr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FITCIP View Post
got a few shots a bit closer gordy, but next week we are going into the castle itself and from within the grounds i will get some much better shots. i know what you mean about the grass too. i think HDR is a selective taste lol
excellent, maybe you could try some more hdr on the stone work itself. Thats usually a good subject for hdr. Looking forward to seeing some more shots.

I wish I had a castle close to me to shoot, you lucky devil.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 8:26 PM   #6

I best not mention that within an hours drive there is about 10 castles where i live. Im visiting maybe 3 of them this week over the Easter school holidays with my children. Should be fun. I'll keep you posted
Old Apr 1, 2012, 12:52 AM   #7

Dear John, perhaps you wont something like this? Maybe it's a bit 'too spooky...

Old Apr 1, 2012, 6:30 AM   #8

Fitcip I dont know if you tried to mess with all the additional settings or you picked a preset. But try to tweak all the options and move the bars to the edges to see the changes. You will get the hang of it. I am not using it so often so its experimental mostly. Usually try to use photos with vibrant colors. For example the grass on this one will look good or another example is a red brick wall. I am not sure about the result you are after but i tried to do a tonemapped one of the first photo you put up. It may be a little dark but tell me if you like it.

Last edited by geoper2; Apr 1, 2012 at 6:38 AM.
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote