Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 5, 2012, 2:11 AM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 This battery cannot be used

Hi all, Hear is a good one for you. I just purchased an AC adapter +DC coupler for my FZ150 and it works just fine. When I connect instead of the AC adapter to the DC coupler a bigger external Panasonic CGR-53 7.2V 5300mAh battery that I use for my camcorder, I get a error message "This battery cannot be used' and the camera shuts down. This battery is the same voltage as the OEM DMW-BMB9PP 7.2V 895mAh. I know that the camera somehow recognizes the OEM batteries and it does not work with some aftermarket batteries at all or at least does not show the charge amount left on display, but I do not understand how can the camera recognize what is powering the DC coupler and what can I do to make this work. Please help if you know how!
androez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2012, 9:54 AM   #2

CGR-53 7.2V 5300mAh and OEM DMW-BMB9PP 7.2V 895mAh,the current rating is vastly different
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:42 PM   #3

G'day Andro

Sometimes these days it's hard to quantify answers to Qs like yours as we are second-guessing the camera maker's design team and the design parameters ...

For the moment I can't see any difference between the 2x 7,2v batteries [from the obvious storage capacities of 900mAh vs 5300mAh ...], but wannaclick ^ may know more about the actual 'current' supplied by each battery

The issue may be the internal chip of the 5300 battery is not recognised somehow by the FZ and thus is being rejected that way

Q- what would happen if you connected a 6v torch-lanten battery to the DC adapter as a qwik test -yes I know it's 6v but the camera should run on 6v [it will do so as the 7,2v battery runs down]

Yes - a strange one
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaclick View Post
CGR-53 7.2V 5300mAh and OEM DMW-BMB9PP 7.2V 895mAh,the current rating is vastly different
the milliamp-hour rating of a battery is not a current rating. It is the amount of current the battery can deliver for an hour. It is a measure of the capacity of the battery. For instance, the OEM battery listed above can deliver 895 milliamps for 1 hour. For an electronic device, the device will not draw more amperage than it needs as long as the voltage of the battery is the same. This means that as long as you match voltages, you can get a battery with pretty much any mAh rating and it should work. It is what allows people to buy "extended life" batteries. Unless of course there is a chip in the battery and in the device and they need to be compatible in some way. Some devices have this to prevent people from using third party batteries. Seems like this may be a case of that.
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:29 AM   #5

Thank you Ozzie Traveller and sumx4182,I was totally wrong in my assumptions and information about the batteries.I stand corrected and duely apologize for the wrong reply !
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 6:01 PM   #6

No problem! Hopefully I could help. Occasionally my degree in electrical engineering comes in handy. haha
sumx4182 is offline   Reply With Quote