Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 14, 2012, 1:41 PM   #1

Default FZ20 - Revisited

It has been a few years since I visited this forum and boy how much has changed. What has not is the supportive group that is still here.

These are few shots from my beloved FZ20 (made last year during a play), call me romantic but I don't have money nor heart to replace it.
Attached Images

aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2012, 5:23 PM   #2

G'day aswp

.... and I would not suggest that the 'old' camera needs replacement
It is showing excellent lo-light sensor response, good colours etc and that 'old' 12x Leica zoom lens is recognised as one of the best on the market

Well done
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 8:40 PM   #3

Agree, excellent low light images - especially the last shot.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:28 PM   #4

The FZ20 was a very unique camera with its f2.8 across the entire 12x zoom lens. I had one and I have a couple thousand pictures I took with it. I sold it many years ago and even though I liked the camera, I can't say I miss it. It had too many limitations compared to today's standards.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:52 PM   #5

I agree with other friends aswp!! Great work in low light conditions with the epic FZ20!!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:02 AM   #6

I owned an FZ20 once upon a time- and loved it- despite it's limitations by modern standards.
The manual focus was an absolute gem- and the f/2.8 lens across the entire zoom range was a huge boon- sadly lacking today...
A very well put together camera- and if they made it today with a modern sensor/processor combo,with the resulting reduction of image noise (a big problem on the FZ20) above iso 200- then I'd be the first in the queue to get one...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7

I think the reason manufacturers like Panasonic, Sony among others, don't make cameras like the FZ20 or the R1 is because to make cameras with similar features and quality would cost too much and the final product would be too expensive for a P&S market. When those cameras came out, the cost of DSLRs were much much higher than they are today, so the gap between P&S and DSLR in terms of costs was big. Thus, these cameras could position themselves right in between. The Sony R1 was close to $1000 when first released. It has a beautiful Zeiss lens and many innovative features for its time.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2012, 1:16 PM   #8

Thank you guys...
I agree about the cost issue. When FZ10 came out it cost a lot and soon came FZ20. I was able to grab a bargain deal when FZ30 was released. Lens wise I have very little issue with this camera especially under bright sunny day. Nevertheless, it does have a lot of limitations (compared to today's standard).
I still love this camera for daytime outdoor photography. Combine LTZ-10E converter, it is a very handy kit for birds or wildlife.
aswp01 is offline   Reply With Quote