Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2012, 9:27 AM   #11

Thanks Phil, i agree about the helpful people here, it is great to have that knowledge.
If i am correctly reading these posts i take it that the lenses i have are ok for other similar cameras but not a DSLR due to weight of the LT55.
In which case i will just look for a DSLR but which one is the problem now, lol. Too amny to choose from for a newbie like me.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 4:54 PM   #12

G'day Eysha

With your current photography What sort of lens zoom are you using mostly??
ie- the wide-angle end or the long-tele end of the zoom????

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2012, 5:22 PM   #13

I use both Phil. depends what i am trying to photograph i guess.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:07 PM   #14

G'day Eysha

The Q was asked to try to point me/others in the 'best' direction for you. One of the issues here is that "what suits me may or may not suit you"

I have also moved on from the FZ35 ~ while I found it a great camera in many respects, it/my particular unit let me down badly with noise in moderately-dark zones. I bought a Pentax Kx [it has a nice feature set] with an 18-125 for day-to-day pix followed by a 70-300 for longer-lens stuff. These 2 lenses covered the FZ35's 18x zoom range pretty closely.

From hearing / reading lots of stuff about "larger sensor & better lenses will give better sharpness & results than the small-sensor ultrazooms...." I did not find this to be the case. With the Pentax, I found that the 18-125 was 'okay' and the 70-300 lens results were no better than the FZ35. Certainly - the Pentax will 'snap' onto focus with birds etc; it's great there, but I still craved for the all-in-one convenience of the superzoom

I have now [a month ago] taken delivery of the FZ35 replacement via a Fuji Xs1, and while it has some issues with rapid focussing, [it's no good for BIF] it's body size [equal to the Pentax with the 18-125 lens], it provides me with 'magic' results and the Pentax is now up for sale

So where does this leave you??
There is no 'complete' answer. Best I can suggest is for you to latch onto some local 'togs, maybe local camera club people and see if you can share an afternoon with them & play with several camera/lens combinations to locate something that suits your hands/eyes etc. Another option could be for you to post a request for UK-based members of Steves to PM you their location and have a get-together > now that could be "something grand"

Regards, Phil
Old May 17, 2012, 5:22 AM   #15

Thanks Phil, that was an interesting post and i read it twice. What is BIF? I was surprised to hear the DSLR was no better than the FZ38.
Why did you choose the Pentax over other DSLR's? I don't beleive there is any camera clubs near me and not sure about a get-together either but your post has made me think, so many thanks for that Phil. Maybe i should stick where i am.

Old May 18, 2012, 7:35 PM   #16

G'day Eysha

Many bits to answer your recent Qs
Re- the FZs versus the Pentax [with its Sigma lenses]...

The Pentax is a very sophisticated camera [as are the other dSLRs on offer], and I chose it for several things that appealed to me at the time. Overall [to me] cameras are like handbags ... you select the one that seems to do your bidding best, and often they are so similar, it's the colour that ends up being chosen !!

Last December I did some lens / sharpness etc tests using the FZ + the Pentax and posted the results here. Here's the link for you to skwiz at...

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...nny-fz100.html

More later :-)
Regards, Phil