Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 13, 2012, 4:57 PM   #1

Default compatable camera for my Lens

I have the FZ38 and want to use the long and macro lenses that i bought for it (i never remember their numbers) on a DSLR so which one will they fit onto?

I find the FZ38 slow so i want faster and would love a DSLR.
Any suggestions please?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2012, 6:38 PM   #2

G'day Eysha

To give you the best info, we'll need the details shown on each lens ... ie- "LT55" sort of stuff

Presuming that the 'macro' lens is a 55mm diameter, screw-in close up lens [ie- like a UV filter] then it will go onto any dSLR lens of the same diameter.
If your new camera uses 58mm filters, then you will need a small adapter device called a "step-down-ring"
To get the size of the filters needed, look inside the clip-on lens cap and it will be shown inside the cover

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 7:59 AM   #3

Just curious Eysha, when you say the FZ38 is slow what do you mean?

jj
Old May 14, 2012, 8:20 AM   #4

Phil i have the LT55 and the LC55, same as Saly plus the adapter. Wanted to know which DSLR would these transfer too as i don't want them to be left doing nothing/ wasted by buying a new camera and more lenses if you see what i mean.

JJ, i find the shutter lag slow and annoying.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 14, 2012, 11:02 AM   #5

eysha, as Phil pointed out, you need "step-up" or "step-down" rings that converts 55mm to you DSLR lens. I use the LC55 on other lenses and works well. The LT55 is a little more tricky because it is heavy and some lenses can't auto focus well with it, although it works really well with my Lumix 70-200mm.

When you say "shutter lag", do you mean the time the camera takes to auto focus while you depress the shutter halfway? If that is your issue, you may run into the same problem with other cameras. I don't see any lag-time difference between my FZ35 and GF1 (Micro 4/3). So make sure you read reviews on that performance. Different cameras and models have different lag speed. Also it seems to depend on the lens you use too.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 11:20 AM   #6

Isn' the FZ38 a 46mm? but i get what you mean about the step-up/down rings.
Don't understand the bit about the Lumix 70-200mm bit.

Shutter lag, i mean it is slow to take photos. I find it really slow for wildlife shots and i miss them.

Old May 14, 2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Usually tele/WA converters don't work on DSLR due to the way DSLR lenses interact with the camera and sensor. Even if they do work, it is not a very good idea to have a heavy converter mounted on any DSLR lens. The thread in front of the lens is for filter attachments, net converters. You can mount the converters by using either a step up or step down ring depending on whether the converter mount is bigger or smaller than the lens front thread you wish to attach it to.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 3:08 PM   #8

Thanks Tullio, so it looks like the lens' i have for the FZ38 isn't useable on any other camera then.
In that case what DSLR would you recommend and why, round the mid price range?

Old May 14, 2012, 5:12 PM   #9

Your statement is not totally correct. The two converters can be used on other P&S cameras with the appropriate adapter. I have a Sony 1.7x TC, which I used on Soney, Canon and Panasonic cameras but they were all fixed lens cameras. The problem is usually getting them to work properly on DSLRs. As far as DSLRs go, the options are countless. I have standardized on micro 4/3 because I found the system to be a good compromise between IQ and equipment size. You might want to check the Canon, Sony, Nikon, Pentax and Olympus DSLR forums and see what each brand has to offer.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2012, 5:28 PM   #10

G'day again eysha

Like the responses so far > ain't it grand to see so many helpful people here

Several things - Now that you mention response times for birds / wildlife > yes I find the superzoom cameras [all of them] no match for the dSLR cameras' speed of focussing [coz each uses a different type of focus-sensor]

You are also correct with the FZ35/38 etc using a 46mm filter directly onto the movable lens barrel. However with the weight of the 'other' and larger panny lenses, panny makes available the adapter tube

The LC55 will be immediately usable onto any lens whatsoever that will accept 55mm dia filters or via a step ring you can easily use it onto larger or smaller filter-sized lenses. I have the Panny G2 that uses 52mm filters mostly, so I have the 55 =>52 stepdown ring to use the close up lens [on the 45-200mm lens for best results]
ps- LC lenses work best on long-zoom lenses that by themselves do not focus all that close

The LT55 is a slightly different item, in that because of its weight, it cannot be bolted onto a regular dSLR lens ... the weight will burn out the lens drive motor

Hope this helps a bit
I will PM you on another issue
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote