Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 18, 2012, 5:07 AM   #11

Thanks, Steve doesn't have a review of that camera on here so need to look for one somewhere.
Have you bought anything for the hotshoe yet? Can a remote time release be used with it? what other accessories would i need/want to buy?
I am looking for an overall price but note that it is much much cheaper in the USA than here and unfortunately i am not going there,lol.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2012, 8:15 AM   #12

I have not bought any accessories yet other than the adapter tube and some aftermarket batteres. The hot shoe can take a flash unit, a wired remote shutter release or a microphone I believe. There are a few reviews of this camera out there. It s generally highly regarded.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:09 AM   #13

Thanks, i am reading reviews on this camera and they look good so far.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 18, 2012, 10:23 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eysha View Post
Thanks, i am reading reviews on this camera and they look good so far.
Eysha if you are not getting good results from the FZ38 you will not get good results from the FZ150, just my two coppers.

jj
Old May 18, 2012, 1:12 PM   #15

OK JJ, comment taken on board.

Old May 18, 2012, 1:40 PM   #16

Quote:
OK JJ, comment taken on board.

Eysha the FZ38 that you have is a fine camera, same one I use every day.

I think the IQ difference between the FZ150 and the FZ38 is very close with the FZ150 holding a slight edge.

What temps me about the FZ150?

Higher ISO with clean results.
Longer zoom.
Flash hotshoe.
Articulated screen.

What type of photos do you enjoy taking?

jj

Last edited by jjdog2; May 18, 2012 at 1:47 PM.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2012, 6:29 PM   #17

G'day again Eysha

I enjoy following your conversations

You ask about close up lenses - LC55 vs the Raynoz etc. The differences are more technical than photographic
All close up lenses are graded by their 'optical strength' [ie-same as spectacle lenses] and designated in Dioptre's. One dioptre focuses at 1-metre, 2 dioptre focuses at 1/2 metre, 3 dioptre focuses at 1/3 metre etc etc

Your LC55 is a "2-dioptre" lens that by itself will focus at 1/2-metre from the lens to the subject > you then zoom to set the size of image that you want
The Raynox 250 focuses at 250mm, ie 1/4 metre, so this lens must be a 4-dioptre lens

The 'best' part for us is that all these lenses are made from multiple bits of glass, therefore the sharpness & colour [at the edges] is superior to simple lenses of only one piece of glass [ie- the 10-quid ones on ebay]

Unless you have a great need for extra close-up lenes, I would save your money

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 5:01 AM   #18

Thanks Phil, didn't know that about the lenses so i appreciate your explanation.
JJ, i like to try to take birds/wildlife so i can paint them so a faster camera would be good.

Old May 20, 2012, 5:01 PM   #19

G'day Eysha

Quote:
... i like to try to take birds/wildlife so i can paint them so a faster camera would be good.
One of the things that I had to get used to years ago, was the realisation that most of the "real-sharp & spunky" images of birds / animals as shown in the photo mags, were in fact taken in animal refuges or wildlife parks ~ so the camera to subject distance was never more than 6-8 metres ... and here I was buying a 1000mm lens "to try to get closer"

This is not to put down in any way the truly dedicated nature photographers here & elsewhere who do in fact "go bush like David Attenborough & his team"

I would suspect that for your bird / animal pix, you might find that your current equipment may come close to doing most of what you're after, -if- you can locate birds/animals to photograph [via these animal refuges]

Another thought tho - if you do decide to chase up a dSLR for this stuff, I would suggest a recent 2nd-hand job as it will be 1/2 .. 2/3 price of a new one, with 90% of the new one's feature set. To me it doesn't matter what the name is on the camera 'coz they all [like motor cars] do much the same stuff ~ it's just up to you to choose the colour of the seat covers

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 5:35 PM   #20

Hadn't thought of that Phil but i am sure you are right. as for teh cameras being like cars i probably agree there too so i think i will choose a nice coloured bridge one day and save the extra pennies from a DSLR for something else, maybe a nice big ice cream cornet at the beach, lol.