Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 20, 2012, 2:59 PM   #11

I kinda doubt it as a lot of people still go for a lotta resolution. I know i would have at one time thinking the more resolution teh better the photo but that is not right - is it?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 5:21 PM   #12

G'day all

@Eyesha - you're right > more pixels / resolution does not automatically mean better images ... just more noise. However the chain stores sell megapixels to the great unwashed / unsuspecting public

My new camera [3-month old] is the Fuji X-s1, where Fuji have gone down from 16mpx to 12mpx and used a slightly larger sensor as well. Images appear 'great' with none of the noise issues I had with my old FZ35

My wife has the FZ100, and it's better than the FZ35 in many respects

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; May 21, 2012 at 5:16 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012, 5:32 PM   #13

OOPS, i was once part of the unwashed/unsuspecting public then when i knew nothing about photography, not that i know that much now, lol., cos i don't but i do know that.
If i went to buy a new camera now i have no real idea what to look for to get a good camera that will last for years so my knowledge is sadly lacking greatly there - as wel as other areas of course,lol.
I doubt i would buy a DSLR now as the lenses cot a fortune.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old May 29, 2012, 7:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day all

My new camera [3-month old] is the Fuji X-s1, where Fuji have gone down from 16mpx to 12mpx and used a slightly larger sensor as well. Images appear 'great' with none of the noise issues I had with my old FZ35

Regards, Phil
Hi Phil,

What do you think of the X-s1 against the fz150 as I need a new camera and I'm not sure which way to go, I realize the fuji is more expensive but do you think it's worth the extra, also, I've seen that the X-s1 has had some problems with locking up, there's a video on youtube showing it... have fuji sorted this now with a firmware update? cheers..

Kind regards

Jake
Jacobitejake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2012, 5:30 PM   #15

G'day Jake

The 2 cameras are very different items - and any suggestion of mine would be prefaced with "it depends upon your style of photography" as well as "what's your budget"

For a beginner I would suggest the FZ150 - it's lighter, smaller and well into its production cycle, so that any issues with its operations are well & truly taken into account with factory mods/ firmware etc etc

To my knowledge there are no firmware updates for the Xs1
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012, 10:50 AM   #16

I finally got my hands on the FZ150 and while i think it is about the same as the FZ38 to hold what i found i wasn't keen on was the wheel at the top to adjust the f-stop and shutter speed. Other than that it seemed no different although it may have been a faulty one because it wouldn't zoom in some programmes. That doesn't alter the size i know but i am not sure about it now.