Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 22, 2012, 4:25 PM   #1

Default Todays Flowers

I haven't posted anything here in a long time now but today the sun shone and i was up early taking photos of the few flowers that is in my garden. Most have been spoilt with the rain.
Bluebell, Wallflower, Dandelion and two poppies.
Can you see the Caterpillar?
CC welcome.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2012, 8:14 PM   #2

Well Eysha, nice to have you posting some shots with us.

I think you did a nice job on these, and yes I did see the Caterpillar.

Don't have time tonight but I will stop by tomorrow and give you some tips on how I use the FZ35 in these situations.

JJ
Old May 23, 2012, 7:25 AM   #3

Nice series Eysha, I am convinced that our friend JJ will give you good advice on the most correct settings when situations of intense light creates an excess of contrast between the illuminated areas and those in the shade!
Old May 23, 2012, 8:59 AM   #4

Eysha, I rarely critique shots that people post and this is not critique but just some basic things I have picked up from taking flower shots with the FZ series of cameras for the last 8 years.

Outside the camera:

When:

I have the best luck taken flowers in the early morning or late afternoon sun. The light is not as strong and it creates much better shadowing on the subject.

POV:

Before you take a shot study your subject and try to picture it in the frame. Try different points of view.

Background:

I think this is one of the most important things when shooting flowers. Seeing someoneís garden hose are a window in the background of you subject does not add to the image. Distance in the background normally gives you a more pleasant background.

Composition:

In most situations it is best not to cut off any of the petals of your flower and donít crowd you subject in the frame.

Post Processing:

If cropping try not to cut off any petals of you flower and if possible do not have you subject dead center in the frame.

Learn how to use the clone tool to remove any distractions in the background. In the last shot you posted all of that all the stuff to the right of the stem in the bottom corner could be easily cloned out.

Inside the Camera:

Shoot in P mode, when you become more comfortable with the camera you can play with A/S mode.

Learn how to use the joystick, it is your friend.

Use macro mode auto focus if you are close if not donít.

I normally have the best luck using spot focus/spot metering. But you need to experiment with all of the focus/metering modes.

Learn how to use AE Lock. Read the manual and Google it to understand what it can do. ItĎs a great way to control exposure away from the focus point.

Donít be afraid to adjust the exposure down. Take a shot and take a look and it too bright adjust down, shot again and check again.

Learn how to use auto bracket exposure. I do not use much but it can be a helpful tool.

And the most important thing is experiment, experiment and then experiment some more.

Hope this helps.

If anyone else has any tips please jump in, Iím not very good at this type of thing.

Last edited by jjdog2; May 23, 2012 at 9:08 AM.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 9:41 AM   #5

jj~great tips!

maryintexas39
Panasonic DMC-LX5/Panasonic Lumix ZS9/Panasonic Lumix ZS15

my flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maryintexas39/
maryintexas39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 2:59 PM   #6

eysha, I really like the first poppy shot. The composition and colors are very nice. The colors looked a bit washed out on my laptop but it looks good on my large monitor.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012, 4:00 PM   #7

Very many thanks to all the replies, especially JJ for your help. I will note down what you have said and try harder next time

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote