Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 1, 2004, 1:39 PM   #1

Default Question about manual settings and shutter prioriity.

Users of the FZ10 know that during full manual settings a little bar will appear which indicates whether pics are over/underexposed.

Here's the situation. I'm in shutter priority, I take a pic at 3.2 sec and the aperture chosen is 4.0 (if I remember correctly). This made for some nice "starry" streetlights. If I go into full manual mode even an aperture of 2.8 (same shutter speed) won't be enough, according to that little bar, to properly expose a picture. This feature seems to work better though in regular day light, at night or in dim light the advice given doesn't appear to be all that "wise".

Anyone else made similar experiences?
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2004, 1:56 PM   #2

Default Re: Question about manual settings and shutter prioriity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviller
Users of the FZ10 know that during full manual settings a little bar will appear which indicates whether pics are over/underexposed.

Here's the situation. I'm in shutter priority, I take a pic at 3.2 sec and the aperture chosen is 4.0 (if I remember correctly). This made for some nice "starry" streetlights. If I go into full manual mode even an aperture of 2.8 (same shutter speed) won't be enough, according to that little bar, to properly expose a picture. This feature seems to work better though in regular day light, at night or in dim light the advice given doesn't appear to be all that "wise".

Anyone else made similar experiences?
It may be that the matrix metering is throwing things off. Try switching to spot and see what happens. Also, keep an eye on the histogram.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2004, 2:12 PM   #3

I encountered this problem while I was taking pictures of a street scene in the midst of dusk. Just took some indoor shots and the automatic exposure / shutter priority / full manual mode (taking a pic at 0) all provided me with pretty much the same result. Maybe this problem only occurs when one tries to take pictures in pretty dark settings (histogram almost entirely on the left side).
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote