Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2012, 6:52 PM   #11
csa

I found out this FZ150 was a return from a customer. Even with full warranty; one would be a little nervous as to why it was returned; so I'm skipping this deal.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 11:14 PM   #12

Yeah not a good deal if it is used at $400
peruchox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 12:59 AM   #13

I was all set to order the FZ150 until I discovered that in the 16:9 format it is limited to 9 megapixels. There are lots of hints that a newer version will be coming out this fall. The 12 megapixel capability is only available in the 4:3 format. So I'm waiting.
jmb8626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 1:15 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb8626 View Post
I was all set to order the FZ150 until I discovered that in the 16:9 format it is limited to 9 megapixels. There are lots of hints that a newer version will be coming out this fall. The 12 megapixel capability is only available in the 4:3 format. So I'm waiting.
A newer one will have the same percentage of the megapixels not used at the 16:9 ratio no matter what the total megapixel size is. I would not let that be your deciding factor. It is no different then if you shot a picture and then cropped it.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:36 PM   #15

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
I found out this FZ150 was a return from a customer. Even with full warranty; one would be a little nervous as to why it was returned; so I'm skipping this deal.
Hey Sal ... We've returned a camera before simply because I found that one of its features didn't suit me > I wanted not only "burst" but "burst with 40+ exposures in the burst" & found the camera only did 4 frames then stopped ... so it went back. Beyond it not suiting my in-depth needs is was 100% ok and had only shot less than 50 frames

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb8626 View Post
JMB - I feel that you are being a little pedantic here mate > ANY 12mpx camera when placed into another photo-size mode will have a slightly reduced pixel count. The 'however' is that you still have 4000 pixels across the photo & that's more than enough for a 24-inch wide sharp print

Or is it [maybe] that you have a new HD TV with 16:9 format and you want to see your great holiday pix on the TV ... maybe you need to double-check the TV's pixel count in 16:9 mode. The ones I have seen give 1920 pixels wide x 1280 pixels high > ie- only 2,5mpx

What more do you want??

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:57 PM   #16
csa

"Hey Sal ... "

Uhhh, it's Carol, not Sal.

At a $400 pricetag, I'm not willing to take a chance that something might have been wrong with the camera; or that they damaged it unknowingly to buy it blind. I'd hate to buy it, & have to turn right around & send it in on warranty.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jul 5, 2012, 1:29 PM   #17

Hi Everyone!
I'm new posting to this forum, but have been reading for some time. I too am looking to purchase a FZ150 ( I used to have a FZ20, but it was "permanently borrowed" by my daughter, lol! )
I had been trying to decide between the FZ150 and the Sony DSC HX100. The Panny won out primarily due to it's having RAW as well as seeing all the amazing photos you all have been getting with the Panny.
Decide.com suggests to wait a couple weeks to buy it until the prices drop, but 42nd Street Photo is selling it now for $435. Do you think I should go ahead and get it now, or wait? ( I do have a camera, a Sony DSCH2, so it's not like I NEED a camera right now ) Do you think that the price might drop much more than what it is selling for now?
Or should I wait until the next superzoom model comes out? ( I was hoping that Panasonic would come out with a Panorama setting like they have with the ZS15 )
I'd appreciate any input you could give me!

Last edited by Big Red; Jul 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM. Reason: to add info
Big Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2012, 2:46 PM   #18

I paid $419 for my FZ150 a week or so before Thanksgiving last year, and then saw them drop $80.00 on Black Friday, and go up right after that. $435 is a good price in my opinion. Unless the next model really stands out I imagine these are not going to get cheaper when it comes out. But, it is a gamble either way and you are the one who has to decide.

I will say it is a great camera, and I really like that it will do RAW bursts.

Steve
Old Jul 5, 2012, 6:53 PM   #19
csa

"I was hoping that Panasonic would come out with a Panorama setting"

I'm not familiar with what type of panorama setting the ZS15 had; however, my FZ40 has a panorama setting, and I'm sure the 150 also has one.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jul 5, 2012, 7:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
"I was hoping that Panasonic would come out with a Panorama setting"

I'm not familiar with what type of panorama setting the ZS15 had; however, my FZ40 has a panorama setting, and I'm sure the 150 also has one.
It has a Scene Mode called Panorama Assist. I have no idea what it does and no desire to learn, but it is there.

Steve