Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:41 AM   #1

Default FZ150 or wait for next FZ model?

I have caught the bug to upgrade my camera.

My current camera is a FZ-18, I just sold my Canon XSi DSLR a couple of months ago. I thought I was ready for the move to DSLR but after owning one for awhile I found out that a bridge camera really works better for me. The Canon XSi was a great camera but I found that 90% of the time I would take my FZ18 with me and leave the larger XSi and lenses at home.

My question is should I wait for the new model FZ which should be out in a couple of months or purchase a FZ150 now?

I still use my FZ18 so its not like I do not have a camera now and I'm not really worried about the difference in cost between the newer model and the FZ150. I am not rich but I do not mind spending money for what I want when I know it will last me 4 or 5 years. I do not take alot of pictures in the summer so waiting is really not a issue if that is what I need to do.

The main things that concern me with the FZ150 is the bad things I keep hearing about the viewfinder and I would like a little more zoom range if image quality does not suffer.
If anyone has owned both the FZ18 and the FZ150 could you tell me how the viewfinders compare on these two models?

I would just like to hear some opinions.

Thank you.

Last edited by rachunter; Jun 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
rachunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:45 PM   #2

From all the images posted here and other forums, FZ150 is a fantastic camera I would be very happy with. But, if the new FZ is just around the corner then you might as well wait, you never know what Panasonic will pull out of the hat. Besides, a new model may force the FZ150 price to come down.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 12:58 PM   #3

I'm in the same spot. I have the fz35 and want to upgrade but I have decided to wait longer because I think the fz150 is a bit too high now ($440 in Amazon) compare to what I paid for the fz35 ($280).

If the 150 goes down to $300 range then I'll get it.
peruchox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:18 PM   #4

The FZ-150's a great "all in one"- maybe the best at present- and it won't become a bad camera overnight...!
If the rumoured new model is imminent- it's going to have to go some to improve...!
I just hope they don't spoil it- by getting sucked back into the megapixel race or push the zoom boundaries too far....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5
csa

I want the FZ150; but will wait to see what Panasonic will bring to the table!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2012, 9:55 AM   #6

My FZ18 is out of town with the daughter so I cannot compare viewfinders directly, but I had no problem with the viewfinder on my FZ35, which I think they said was smaller than the FZ18, and I have no trouble with the viewfinder on my FZ150. And my eyes are none too good. You can hold out to see what comes with the next generation, but the FZ150 is a very fine camera.

Steve
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:08 AM   #7
csa

Have there been any "rumblings" about a sucessor to the FZ150?

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jul 1, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
csa

I wish I knew if the FZ150 is truly discontinued, or being revamped, etc. I have an opportunity to buy the FZ150 new, for $400. Don't know what to do.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Jul 2, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9

I'd buy now at that price as it is much more expensive here in the UK, it is still $573.00 on Amazon - way too much for my pocket.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2012, 5:07 PM   #10

G'day all

In our household we've run various FZ's for many years now
The viewfinder changes from the FZ7 to FZ28/35 to FZ100/150 are a bit like comparing a Tiger moth aeroplane at one end to the 767 at the other end ~ sure they both fly, but the old ones are sure showing their age !!!

Also - I have eyeballed the latest nikon 42x zoom job > and to me, most of the lens at each end of the range leaves a lot to be desired. I am beginning to think that we're asking too much of any set of optics trying to be wide angle thru to high-end telephoto ~ bit like trying to cram 24megapixels onto a small sensor

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote