Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 18, 2012, 5:42 PM   #1

Default Fz150 video problem

Hi guys, im brand new to the panasonic camera's. Came from a 5 year old Canon A720is, which took decent pics but crap for video.

What attracted me to this one was the great picture quality and video quality.

Right now though im having a problem here. I am taking video with avchd progressive (psh) and on camera it looks great, looks smooth. I plug it into the computer and load it off the camera through the photofun studio that was supplied with the camera. When i go to play the movie on windows media player i run into 2 issues

1) It shows its only 720p
2) the video is not playing back properly, it glitches badly

Now when i open up windows movie maker and save it as a wmv file and save it as a HD 1080, the video plays back perfectly.

I prefer the mts file since it supposed to be a higher quality playback but my WMD does not at all seem to like that file. I have gone and extracted the movie file right from the folder manually and done it through the software. the result is the same.

When i record it as a mp4 file through the camera, it plays it back fine, but you can notice the quality isnt quite as nice.

Sorry for the long winded message, just a bit frustrating i cant seem to figure out why this is acting up..
TORMENTOR08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2012, 8:30 PM   #2
Administrator

You may want to try VLC and see if it works any better. It's what I use for Media Playback under both Linux and Windows. It's free. Get it here:

http://www.videolan.org/

Note that higher quality 1080p video can be very demanding on PC resources needed for smoother playback. So, you may have to experiment with different players and codecs to find one that works better for you if you don't have a relatively fast PC. But, I'd probably try VLC for starters and see how it works for you.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2012, 10:56 PM   #3

Computer should be able to handle it...

E8400 @ 4ghz
4 gigs of ram
Dual 8800gt's
Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:14 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd see how VLC works with them. It's what I use with both Windows and Linux for playing video. Again, it's free:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

You may also want to try the K-Lite Codec Pack and see if that solves it for you in case you just need better codecs for those video files (and the download for the Standard Version also comes with Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema, which a lot of users seem to like):

http://codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Old Jun 18, 2012, 11:19 PM   #5
Administrator

You may want to make sure your video drivers are up to date, too (in case it's just a driver issue causing problems, since many modern players will attempt to use GPU acceleration to help out with video playback):

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Old Jun 19, 2012, 2:59 PM   #6

But how come the supplied software that came WITH the camera that has a video play back won't play it properly either?...

Will check the video card drivers next, because I would have though the software that came with the camera could work properly
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:27 AM   #7

Default Bump

I have this exact same problem. Did you ever figure it out? Its really frustrating as this is the reason i bought this camera. I have a class 10 SDHC card too
homestar680 is offline   Reply With Quote