Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 26, 2012, 3:26 PM   #1

Default First Holiday with FZ150

My first holiday cruise with my new FZ150 and a few of my early attempts. Lovely camera, but will need to get used to it (I should have played around with it more before I went I think, it tended to overexpose, but I am sure it was me, and that there are ways round it - ev compensation etc). First is the Ampitheatre at Cartahena (tonemapped), the second is one of the apes on Gibraltar rock (straight from camera), third is a bric a brac seller in Tangier (custom B&W scene setting), fourth is another Gibraltar ape and the last is part of the Alhambra Palace in Granada. If I've actually managed to load these up ok will try a couple more - any critique happily accepted!
Attached Images

Last edited by scot628; Jun 26, 2012 at 3:54 PM. Reason: Added more photos
scot628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2012, 7:54 PM   #2

Looks like you had a great holiday and some nice shots with the new camera. Agree that you need to work on controlling the exposure with the FZ150. The most fun with a new camera is learning how to use it.

Post some more, good people using the FZ150 on the forum that I'm sure would be glad to give you some tips on how to get the best results from the camera.

jj
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:57 AM   #3

Yes, I agree with what you say about playing around with it? I don't think anyone can pick up a strange camera and get the best out of it, far to many tweaks to spoil a good shot, keep shooting, you have an excellent camera.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:40 AM   #4

Thanks Both

I wonder if anyone has a basic set up that they prefer when using the FZ150?

I wandered from auto to Programme mode to Aperture. Eventually settled on P with -1/3EV but decided not to get into the more subtle tweaks in case I ended up with a lot of rubbish! What about contrast, saturation, sharpness etc, any thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:10 AM   #5

Actually, the FZ150 does overexpose and tends to blow highlights. I have mine, which I really enjoy, set on -1/3 EV and shoot RAW. Very nice shots, by the way.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:49 AM   #6
csa

I really love all of these, hard to pick a favorite! #1 is so beautiful!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 5:01 AM   #7

I don't the 150 so my advice on settings may or may not work, ISO 100, unless it is really dull, white balance on cloudy, even in bright sun. ev -1/3 or more, noise on low, and the rest set on standard, I assume you use the highest megapixels and use spot metering in those against the light shots, keep a note of what you do and remember it costs nothing to shoot off a hundred practice shots.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2012, 9:52 AM   #8

Seems like a good start Scot , congratulations on your new FZ150!
To start strongly urge you to study the manual and see (and review) and understand these great video tutorials, made ​​by mr. Graham, from the first onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDDB8066428FF3715

Then do as many tests, without worrying about results, the improvements come with the experience and personal taste.

Old Jun 28, 2012, 4:38 PM   #9

That is one fab series of shots, you have a good eye and some great compositions. As everyone else says, take the time to learn all about your camera, experiment and most importantly of all - have fun.
Old Jun 29, 2012, 5:47 PM   #10

Hi, and thanks again to you all for the suggestions and hints, very much appreciated! And also thanks for compliments, although I have a fair way to go it's fun trying the camera out