Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2012, 11:13 AM   #1

Default ZS7 sweet spot for aperture

I have been shooting in P mode for awhile with the ZS7 with decent results. but now that I understand better A and P and S, I am thinking to switch and use A mode almost exclusively. My initial thought it to set it at the widest f3.3 and do not adjust much as that will give me the fastest shutter and less hand shake. With a range of f3.3 - 6.3 i cannot really do shallow depth of field with the camera..

Still, I mostly do travel photography so having the most of the picture sharp is my main goal. That is why I wonder what is the ZS7's sweet spot for aperture setting... f4 or not worry about it at all and set it at f3.3 and forget it ?
KurtCocain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:39 PM   #2

To be honest- f/3.3 and f/4 will show little or no difference to sharpness-and as such,you may be better off leaving it wide open for more shutter speed.
Curiously however,when comparing shots with aperture wide open against those taken with iA mode- the iA mode usually delivers cleaner shots,with less noise..!
I would switch to Aperture priority only if the subjects may be moving- provided the light is good and I can stick with the base iso.
If the light is not so good,I may switch to Shutter Priority,select a given shutter speed- say 1/320th sec- and select auto iso.
But if subjects are static- say landscapes,buildings etc- I stick with iA.

If you remain unconvinced with the "sweet spot"- take some shots at various apertures and compare them...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2012, 3:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
To be honest- f/3.3 and f/4 will show little or no difference to sharpness-and as such,you may be better off leaving it wide open for more shutter speed.
Curiously however,when comparing shots with aperture wide open against those taken with iA mode- the iA mode usually delivers cleaner shots,with less noise..!
I would switch to Aperture priority only if the subjects may be moving- provided the light is good and I can stick with the base iso.
If the light is not so good,I may switch to Shutter Priority,select a given shutter speed- say 1/320th sec- and select auto iso.
But if subjects are static- say landscapes,buildings etc- I stick with iA.

If you remain unconvinced with the "sweet spot"- take some shots at various apertures and compare them...
yes, I have been having a hard time comparing shots. I am actually somehow biased that the in P mode the pictures are sharper than in A mode :O.

But now you are challenging me with iA mode ) not helping
KurtCocain is offline   Reply With Quote