Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:33 PM   #11

Marco mode is on the dial on the top of the camera. It's a flower symbol.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 4:38 PM   #12

Thanks, i was using A mode. Will try again tmw.
Any more advice just let me know,lol.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:16 PM   #13

G'day pb + others

Back in 2003/4, my first digi was the Fuji S5000 with 14x zoom on board - and I soon discovered the joys of "macro at 10x to 14x zoom". For anyone who wishes to pop into my Flickr collection, look for the album called Ultrazoom Images from the S5000 &/or Wildflowers of the Outback will see a 'few' samples

Like others here it seems that I've been enjoying this feature of superzooms regularly over the years and for me. I just took it that everyone else would be doing it too, so never made a fuss about it. It is one of the small 'smirks' I have these days with dSLR users who 'rave' about how their 'super-expensive new 50-500 lens does closeups' and I smile and say "we UZ users have been able to do this for years & years!!!"

To answer PBs main Q about focus issues, I have found several things - my original Fuji rarely had any focus issues; the FZ35 that followed the Fuji rarely had focus issues and the Fuji X-s1 that followed the FZ35 has 99% focus errors while in macro mode

While in 'regular focus distance' mode the X-s1 focus performs as you would expect a camera to do, but in macro mode [which I enjoy using regularly] there are times when after 30 unsuccessful focus attempts, I give up and move away

I have found over the years that each camera's focus system is different in operation - I tend to use "centre-weighted" &/or "multi-pattern" ... same thing to me but different descriptions from different camera makers - rather than spot focus

BTW - Eysha > you'll love the visual effects you can get from "macro at 18x zoom"
ps: expect camera to subject distances of 1,5m to 3metres

Here's 2 samples ...

and

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 9:09 PM   #14

Thanks for the information. I'll try different focus modes. I always thought of macro mode as you get as physically close as you can and then zoom as little as possible. The lack of focus isn't even close to what you experienced with Fuji. It's just occasionally is seems to get "moody." I am a newspaper reporter who shoots his own pictures. I got the FZ150 to silently shoot events in intimate settings (DSLR users just don't see how disruptive mirror slap can be). Sitting in the front rows at f2.8, shooting RAW and using the burst modes in leiu of very high shutter speeds, I get very good shots up to ISO 800. Even with a moderate zoom I have found sucess at ISO 1600 and 3200. I find myself, however, using the FZ150 more and more in my daily shoots. It's so light compared to my Pentax Kx and Tamron 18-250 and easy to use. It can't replace my DSLR in some settings, but it certainly fills the most of my needs. Keep in mind, though, that I'm not shooting for a glossy magazine. This is newpaper print and very forgiving.

Last edited by pboerger; Aug 8, 2012 at 9:26 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:45 PM   #15

I tried the macro mode at 18x today. Unfortunately no insects to photograph so i shot what i could.
The first two are in macro mode only. The last one is in macro mode but with the long lens attached. It is the same tree and distance minus the bird, he had gone to tea i think.
The tree is in a neighbours garden two doors away so a good distance away in feet.
I still cannot seem to get the DOF as shown in this thread though, and i confess i shake a little, moreso with the long lens on. I have a tripod yes but was just trying the lens out.
Looking to the fz200 which has a sutter release on which, i think, will help me - maybe.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:05 PM   #16

None of those environments lend themselves to DOF. The shots I take have the subjects isolated and the background away from the subject. The first shot, for example, has the tree mixed with the bird. For DOF, the tree should be well in the background with the bird sitting very separate in front. The other shots have nothing in the background to get DOF.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 5:13 PM   #17

Thanks, interesting. I will try it again with the subject in front to see i i get DOF. Keep your fingers crossed,lol.

Old Aug 9, 2012, 6:14 PM   #18

G'day eysha

The "trick" if it were to be called a trick - is
1- to have the camera in the 12x - 15x - 18x zone, knowing that it then has a minimum focus distance at about 1,5m to 1,8m away
2- to find a subject that is at that focus distance
AND in the sunlight
AND with some background in the shade
AND where the background is more than the camera-to-subject distance behind the subject being photographed

Something like this ...

Hybiscus blooming by ozzie_traveller, on Flickr

Keep trying
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:48 AM   #19

Thanks Phil, i like that photo, so nic and clear and vibrant too. I will keep trying, i am just no succeeding yet,lol.