Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 24, 2012, 7:07 AM   #1

Default FZ35 + LC55 - Nature pics

Some of you may recall I bought an LC55 more than a year ago. Also, you may recall that I was unable to get any good pics and offered to give it away. No takers ...

A few weeks ago, Saly posted more pics using the LC55. I responded, "... this is why I don't post pics ... can't compare to this ...." A reply suggested I work further, and I decided to do so. Some tips were offered on camera settings. This was helpful, very helpful.

In the past several weeks, I have used the LC55 with good success. I have many shots, but am having it difficult to find time to get the images processed and posted on my hosting site, let alone getting some posted here.

But, I sifted through some shots of the past few days, and offer them here now. There are lots more, but don't have time to get them posted now.

I am not so sure why I was having so many problems earlier. Perhaps the most likely change was use of Spot focus, Center-Weighted exposure. Many shots have been made with Macro/Flower, but also some with P mode. May major problem earlier had been focus. But, I seemed to have overcome this issue on most shots. Butterflies, and other like critters, don't give one much time and the temptation is to fire too quickly.

Enjoy.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:39 AM   #2
csa

Excellent photos! I'm glad that you didn't give up on the LC55!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:01 PM   #3

I can see why you are happy with these, excellent work.

jj
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:03 PM   #4

The butterflies are beautiful, but the plant in #2 is amazingly well taken. Is it a bud? What does the flower look like? Please give more work to your LC55, now that you have mastered it!
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:23 PM   #5

Great job Roger, I'm so glad you stuck with it!! Really great shots, #1 is beautiful (would have been even better if you didn't clip the wing tip, oh well...) and I agree with Raghu, #2 is very special. Keep trying, and you will just get better and better!!

When I first started shooting closeups, not very long ago, I was getting really crappy results and was about to give up. A couple of very kind and helpful folks on this forum (LTZ470 and Clint501 who don't post here very often anymore) gave me lots of tips and encouragement and I'm ever so thankful of that. If I can forward that favor to anyone who can use my humble help, I can't be happier.

P.S. I didn't know you were "giving away" your LC55, I would have taken it!!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~

Last edited by saly; Aug 24, 2012 at 1:27 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 8:38 AM   #6

Thanks for all the comments, folks. I appreciate it.

As for #2, the plant is a simple sunflower. Without context, the size is hard to understand. I believe what you see is about 6 inches across. These sunflowers do not make really large seed heads -- more for a showy piece than to produce an abundance of seeds.

Saly, ... yes, the top edge just was a bit short. I don't know how this stuff happens. Why don't I see this through the screen when taking the shot? I suppose one is so focused on getting the spot focus in the right place, and concerned about the timing of the butterfly to remain posed, some of these very simple things get lost.

While out yesterday, I found some more places to shoot. A couple of butterflies I really wanted would not land. However, those little golden ones are so prolific this season, they sit long enough, and make good subjects. It is too bad they aren't more colorful! However, they do make good subjects, and builds confidence that I can make use of the LC55. When the really good shots come along, perhaps I will be better prepared.

Here are a few more from yesterday.
Attached Images

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 10:39 AM   #7

Thanks Roger. That was a different perspective of the common sunflower. As for 'cutting the head', I have found, in my earlier days of photography, that I inadvertently pushed the viewing angle down a notch when pressing the shutter. It took some time for me to correct the mistake. The result looks pronounced when you compose with very tight margins. Just my experience.
Raghu
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:54 AM   #8

Nice shots. I read here a lot but don't post much as i am never happy with my shots and often thought of giving up too so Saly, any help offered would be appreciated as your shots are great. I would be happy with these shots.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2012, 7:05 PM   #9

G'day Roger, > excellent results mate & thankx for showing to us... got any more???

Eysha ... you ask for some info & etc

Firstly some techo jargon...
as I understand it, the LC55 is a "2-element, +2-dioptre high quality closeup lens" and its 2 mates, the 500D & the 250D are also "2-element, high quality closeup lenses of +2 dioptre & +4 dioptre" respectively.

The "number" of the dioptre equals the focus distance as a fraction of a metre, so every +2 dioptre close up lens focusses at 1/2 a metre, every +3 to 1/3 metre and every +4 to 1/4 metre regardless of whatever camera lens it is attached to. So to put one of these lenses onto a 70-300 dSLR zoom for example, lets the lens now focus at about 1/2 a metre, rather than the original 1,2 metres. To put one onto the superzoom opens absolutely amazing possibilities too

I use these sort of lenses weekly and love 'em to bits

The 'however' part of things is that Depth of Field is about 1-2cm [1/2-inch] at the best of times, and as the little blighters I'm trying to photograph are crawling / flitting around all the time, it gets hard to get it right on focus all the time

With my superzoom camera, I find that I use:-
"P" program if i'm not really fussed about things, or for better results...
"A" aperture mode ... f8 or f11;
ISO-200 [sunny] or iso-800 [dim light]
MF - Manual Focus
Exposure & Focus is [pre-set in the menu area] set to "Multi" [full screen]

I meander around the garden looking for bees, butterfiles etc and when I find 'em, I rock the camera to & fro thru the 1/2 a metre sort of distance watching the focus coming in & out of focus. Often I am too far away [by only a couple of inches] and the whole lot is a big blur

As the bees / etc come into focus it's a qwik press of the button and on to the next one

Here's some samples...

[panny G2 & 45-200 zoom @75mm; with 250D lens attached, 1/8sec (+tripod) x f16; iso-200]

[panny FZ35 18x zoom @ 12x; with hoya +2 lens attached, 1/1000s x f4,5; iso-200]

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Aug 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM.
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote