Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 26, 2012, 1:57 PM   #1

Default Th Humble Bumble Bee

Took these in the garden today and after following this little fellow around the garden i decided he is either very sleepy or about to leave us for good.
I quite like the little black bug in #1.
I have them in sequence and i haven't often seen a Bee with its tongue out collecting nectar, have you?
He spent a long time just on the ground getting slower and slower so i left him in safety under a bunch of flowers to sleep, i think.
Comments and advice always welcome.
E.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:36 PM   #2

I like Bees...
The only thing I'd suggest on these shots is a bit of PP to brighten them up a bit...
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:38 PM   #3

Thanks Simon, i am not good on PP yet either so what do you mean? are they too dark?

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:39 PM   #4

opps, lol, sorry Simon, i thought the one you posted was mine until i scrolled up. Now i see what you mean.

Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:46 PM   #5

It's all personal taste of course, but they seem a bit dark to me.
I pushed up the shadows,burned down specific areas for contrast,boosted saturation and sharpness just to add a touch more "bite"...
Of course,the dark bee against white flowers can be a bit tricky for a cameras metering,so dialling a touch of + exposure comp will help get the bees nicely exposed.
Nothing beats getting the shot right in the first place,as opposed to "fixing" it later...
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:49 PM   #6

Thanks Simon, i agree about getting it right first but i am having a hard time doing that as you see,lol.
Maybe i should just give up, i often think that when i see such lovely photos posted here.

Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:59 PM   #7

Hey... don't give up... learning's part of the fun...!!
We've all been through the learning process- and indeed never stop learning new tricks...
Macro's can be quite difficult- especially with a moving insect, or a plant/flower moving in the wind, as the slightest movement at such a small focal length will render the shot useless.
Metering such shots can also be tricky due to high contrast situations often present.
Sometimes you have to accept overexposure in certain areas to attain correct exposure on your subject- such as a dark bee on a white flower.
Spot metering would get the job done- or as I prefer,leaving the metering in "multi" and dialling positive or negative exposure compensation in as and when I feel necessary.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:03 PM   #8

Multi? Ok will try that as son as i can, thinking o all the rain here lately. I thought spot was the best? I get so mixed up most of the time.

Old Aug 26, 2012, 4:33 PM   #9

I took my shots on macro at 18 zoom as someone suggested, i forgot who now. I have set my camera at multi now and will give your suggestion a try tomorrow pending rain of course,lol.
Nice shot of the boat and nicewhite spray oo, you got it nailed all right, wish i had.

Old Aug 27, 2012, 8:02 AM   #10

gorgeous pics; i love fuzzy buzzy bees :-)
killerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote