Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:13 PM   #1

Default Lumix DMW-LC55 close-up lens focus problems

I have a Lumix FZ-40, and attaching my (recently acquired) Lumix DMW-LC55 close-up lens via the proper (DMW-LAS) lens adaptor- I'm unable to achieve focus. Any suggestions what I might have mis-set??
Thanks in advance for any suggestions...
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2012, 5:01 PM   #2

G'day Wes

Several thoughts mate -
Firstly, the LC55 is a "+2 dioptre" close up lens so its focal length is 1/2 a metre [20inches for your fellas]
Next - when in use you will have about 1/2-inch to 1-inch DoF > so you need to be "pretty close" to 20 inches to start with
And - I would suggest that you start with the camera zoom at about 5x so that you can see what's happening, before you zoom out to 10x or 20x to magnify things

I find that to get 'best' results I go to MF mode, wander around the bush of flowers / bees whatever and rock myself [not to sleep either ] back & forth thru the 20inches camera to subject distance till I see the subject come into focus - then I know I'm ready to start having fun

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:54 PM   #3

I'm with Phil. There is a fine line between your distance to subject and zoom. First find a stationary subject, like a flower, in bright sun. Try setting your zoom to about 6x, and position yourself about 18 inches away and move back and forth until you camera can focus. Try adjusting the zoom and eventually you should find the sweet spot. You will actually see your subject come into focus in your LCD even without pressing down on the shutter.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:39 PM   #4

Default Thanks!!

Thanks!! I didn't understand all this.... so no wonder it didn't work for me! Will give it a go... Thanks! Sounds like tripod useage might be in order...

Wes
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:48 AM   #5

I never use a tripod. I find it too limiting when I'm running after bugs.

Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6

Default Got it... kind of.... !!

Played around with it a bit indoors at my desk, got focus with your advice. Seems like it'll be strictly a bright, outdoors setup, as indoors- even in fairly bright overhead lighting on a light surface- still tough to get a good exposure at max zoom.
Wes
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:25 PM   #7

G'day Wes

Ya gettin close matey ... but leave max zoom well alone for another 48hrs !!! while you work out the basics
ps- if you [or anyone else on Steve's] would like some tutorial notes on closeup lenses, PM me with your email details & I will post you a 4-page PDF on the topic from my photo workshops

Regards, Phil

Last edited by Ozzie_Traveller; Sep 2, 2012 at 5:57 PM.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 3:54 PM   #8

On my FZ45 you also need to go to the camera setting menu and find conversion lens. Turn it on to the symbol that looks like and eye.(Turn it off when you remove the lens) This gets rid of the tube effect. The main advantage I have found is that you can be about 50cms ish away from your subject to focus rather than a few cms. You can't stand too close or it won't focus. Having had a problem getting the adaptor I have also now found that using a step up 52 to 55mm ring you can attach the lens straight on the camera! Didn't know this until this week. I am also learning!
Liz
ehodgson2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehodgson2000 View Post
On my FZ45 you also need to go to the camera setting menu and find conversion lens. Turn it on to the symbol that looks like and eye.(Turn it off when you remove the lens) This gets rid of the tube effect. The main advantage I have found is that you can be about 50cms ish away from your subject to focus rather than a few cms. You can't stand too close or it won't focus. Having had a problem getting the adaptor I have also now found that using a step up 52 to 55mm ring you can attach the lens straight on the camera! Didn't know this until this week. I am also learning!
Liz
The Conversion Lens setting is strictly optional. All it does is makes your lens zoom past the adapter ring (LA) so you don't get vignetting. You can do this manually by zooming past the ring yourself. One major disadvantage in using the Conversion Lens setting is, it disable the flash. I often use the flash when shooting macro.

Old Sep 1, 2012, 4:49 PM   #10

G'day Liz

The 52 > 55mm stepup ring is a great idea - a word of caution tho...
Pl check that when the camera powers 'off' & the lens retracts, that it doesn't jam the lens barrel ~ it did with our FZ28 and it was quite a drama to get it out again without damaging the mechanism

Regards, Phil