Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:10 AM   #1

Default Moon pic tips please

Tried my hand at some moon shots last night, not much success :-(

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/838/moonjc.jpg

this is about the best of the bunch but it looks painted. i was fiddling w/ all kinds of settings, but she was pretty damn bright so most of the stuff ended up taken w/ a fast shutter. had the cam on a cheapy tripod i bought, to be honest i don't think i'd locked the platform of as tight as i should have

oh well, it's a million times better than any previous effort so w/ a bit more practice and some tips where to start my ap/shutter settings i'm hoping to get a good one.

tried a 30 sec, f2.8 in the back garden pointed up at the sky, got bugger-all, lol. probably need to be away from ambient light for that to work?

TIA
killerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2012, 5:22 AM   #2

Well Killer, heres my tip for what it's worth, Shoot well before it gets dark, spot focus, and meter, tripod, and self timer. then when you have prooved to yourself that you can do it, don't do it again, it is a boring subject.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:31 AM   #3

Whilst the FZ-200 gives you plenty of aperture to play with, it might be worth stepping the aperture down a bit- it might sharpen things up a touch.
I'd switch to full Manual mode- set the aperture at f/5 or thereabouts,iso at 100,set to manual focus and select infinity- then simply use your shutter speed for the exposure of your choice- probably in the region of 1/500th to 1/640th sec should suffice on a full moon.
You shouldn't really need a tripod at those shutter speeds- but I guess it cannot hurt..!!

Beware also that a full moon doesn't yield the most dynamic of shots, simply due to the fact that the sunlight is square onto the moon,thus little or no crater shadows- and also bear in mind that many moon shots you may see will probably have been edited to some degree....
The "FZ"'s are also probably not the best "Mooners" out there, simply due to their 600mm range- limited compared to many superzooms- maybe consider a tele-converter for really impressive Moon shots....
Here's a couple of Moon's shot with an SX40....
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:43 AM   #4

storming pics there, and thanks for the advice both of you. i'll try and keep an eye out earlier tonight, to be honest it was just chance/spur of the moment that i looked out and saw a bright moon in a cloudless sky so i grabbed my kit.
i know the moon isn't dynamic, but to me, she's just beautiful so i want at least one good pic.

i was trying to practice the long exposures cos i'm off to USA in October, will be doing a couple nights in Monument Valley and was hoping to get out in the desert at night/twilight for some nice starscapes.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:09 AM   #5

Funny you should post this because I got my first decent moon shot only a couple of nights ago. I'll post in a different thread.

The moon is extremely bright, I had to EV down and used a low ISO and pretty fast shutter speed.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2012, 9:13 PM   #6

Monument Valley, well now, a moon behind one of those picturesque monuments would be awesome, get some practice in and shoot plenty.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 3:19 AM   #7

still no luck, still looks "painted" :-( and brownish.
the sky was still pretty black last night even though i got out earlier, part of the prob is that the moon's not high enough to see over the houses until later in the evening.

anyway : what zoom do you use? i was using the mega 110x or such like on the tripod, tried a few last night just at 25~30ish, still not very crisp. i was using the manual mode as Simon suggested, 1/500~640, f5~5.6, just used the half-press to autofocus. the EV meter was still showing +3 : so i try messing w/ settings to get that down?
also, what resolution? i was using a lower one so i could use the extended zoom, think it was the 8meg setting.
also tried setting Sharpness +2 and Noise -1, didn't seem to do much.

cheers

Last edited by killerwolf; Sep 30, 2012 at 4:31 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:04 AM   #8

Hi Killerwolf- the settings I suggested would enable you to use the shutter speed for your metering- in effect slower speed for brighter image,faster speed for darker- just adjust to suit...
Using manual focus and set to infinity should alleviate any focus issues.
I use full 12mp resolution,full optical zoom,no-digital zoom,sharpness at default as is the noise reduction.
Here's a pic taken last night with the my FZ-150- shot at f/5.2 and 1/640th sec- with all else as described.
Even will all set as described,however,the FZ does still seem to dish out a few less than sharp efforts and it might take a few attempts to get a keeper- the FZ's a great camera- but I've taken better moon shots with an HS10,A S3is with a 1.7x converter,an SX40 etc...
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:34 AM   #9

thanks Simon, i guess perseverance is the name of the game - and practice.