Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2004, 1:22 AM   #1

Default Reviews of FZ10 Video Mode?

I'm trying to decide some things for my own camera/video camera needs and desires, and wanted to know if some FZ10 owners can comment on the FZ10 video mode. At 320x200x30fps, the FZ10's video mode has a better framerate than the FZ1 and is video tape quality. Does it actually perform as advertised?

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:34 AM   #2

I'm pretty satisfied with the movie mode, but keep three things in mind:

1. Once a level of zoom is selected, you can't change it during the movie.

2. Indoor movies can tend to be dark. I think some sort of external light (not those 3W Sima-type lights--they don't add any light) would be very helpful if you plan on taking a lot of indoor movies. I don't think this is unique to the FZ-10, but is important.

3. The output is QuickTime. This is perfect for me since I'm a Mac user, but PC users will have to download a player at the Apple website. I've heard of people who don't want to do this (why I don't know)

All things considered, I definitely like it, I just need more light

Steve
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3

I donít find the little 320 X 240 movies to be of much use. If you are deciding on a camera purchase and video output is an important consideration look for something that takes 640 X 480 movies at 30 fps Ė there arenít very many. Second best is 640 X 480 at 15 Ė 17 fps. A little jerky but much better quality.

I have no problem downloading a Quick Time viewer. It isnít as good as the Windows Media Player IMO, but those little movies donít deserve a great player anyway. But the difficulty level increases considerably if you want to make a CD or DVD to show the movies on a TV. Go with MPEG Ė anything but AVI.

Take a look at the sample movies in Steveís sample pictures for each camera. With the Windows Media Player go Alt+Enter when the movie starts playing. It will display full screen and you can much better evaluate how it is going to look on a TV.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
I donít find the little 320 X 240 movies to be of much use. If you are deciding on a camera purchase and video output is an important consideration look for something that takes 640 X 480 movies at 30 fps Ė there arenít very many.
The upcoming Canon Powershot S1 IS is rumored to support it.
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 9:49 PM   #5

I tend to think that if movie mode/quality is very important, get a camcorder since they're made for that. If picture quality is more important, get the camera. I'm not sure that any camera will do both things very well at this point.

I don't want to get into a debate about this, but players are players essentially. Image quality depends on the input and compression. Some players read/convert more files, but that is really the main difference besides platform.
srvsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 12:04 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm primarily looking for a digital camera with a better video mode to replace my FZ1. I'm tired of carrying around two different cameras (still and video), and know that video cameras offer lousey still shots, so it would probably be best to pursue merging the two from the other direction (a still camera that takes good videos). I really want to stick with the FZ line because I love the capabilities, so if the video mode does well I'll probably just go with the FZ10 over any other camera that offers the faster framerate video mode.

I'll download the the samples from the various review websites (didn't think about them having those!), burn it to a VCD, and see how it turns out on my TV. I have about 1/2 dozen programs that easily convert QT to MPEG1 or MPEG2 as part of the SVCD/VCD creation process, so I'm not too worried about format. I'm pretty happy with the FZ1's video mode, except it's a bit choppy at times because of being only 10fps. The 320x240 resolution works fine for VCDs.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 9, 2004, 6:09 AM   #7

Chris,
Have you seen the Sanyo Xacti VPC-C1 ?

I just looked at this amazing little digital/video camera when I went to have a look at an FZ10 yesterday, and I was blown away by its a) small size and (b) true 3.3 digital stills and 5.8x optical zoom (c) groovy pocket design and (d) always ready charger dock.

No tape - all onto SD cards. As memory prices continue to fall this will become reasonable value before too long. A true hybrid and made for your top pocket!

For what its worth, I found the zoom speed too fast and not variable, the auto focus altered the field of view a bit, screen was OK for framing and focus, but the menu displays were small but passable for me with good eyesight (at the moment!)

Sample pics are on the DP-now link below. Price $A1199 is same as FZ10 release price here with 128Mb SD so its not cheap

I would mind this as an always with me digital camera, let alone video. Its a sign of things to come too... but pricey for now.

http://dp-now.com/archives/000432.html

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...-e/1001-e.html
BRD911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 7:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EffZeeOne
Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm primarily looking for a digital camera with a better video mode to replace my FZ1. I'm tired of carrying around two different cameras (still and video), and know that video cameras offer lousey still shots, so it would probably be best to pursue merging the two from the other direction (a still camera that takes good videos). I really want to stick with the FZ line because I love the capabilities, so if the video mode does well I'll probably just go with the FZ10 over any other camera that offers the faster framerate video mode.
Here's the one that you want:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca...4_s1is_pr.html
alexo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 9:43 AM   #9

Panasonic also has something very similar to the Sanyo, but it's US$1,000, and that's ridiculous. The other issue is that the storage media is not proper for such a video camera. The Panasonic digital video camera is capable of storing video at "DVD quality", but what they fail to brag about is how little DVD quality video you can store on the 512mb SD card.

A similar issue occurred with the Minolta Z1's video mode -- it's 640x480x30fps, but only if you're willing to tolerate the audio being significantly out of sync. The reply from Minolta is something to the effect of, "Only use high speed SD cards in this function or turn off the audio recording option." At the time the Z1 was released, there was only one speed of SD card...so I guess that means that they were relying on future technology? I don't think Minolta makes SD cards, so that must mean they were relying on another company to fix their camera's problem. This makes me very hesitant to buy any camera that has a 640x480x30fps video mode, because there aren't too many media options that can keep up with the size and speed of something like that.