Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:15 PM   #11

It seems to me that something made the sensor get out of alignment. It could have been during shipment if the carrier tossed the box around (did you mark the box as "fragile"?) or the buyer could have banged the camera somewhere, which I don't believe it is the case because you will clearly see some marks on the body. I think the seller would try to return the unit as if it was damaged on arrival. Did you insure the package when you mail it? If you did, you can go after the carrier and claim the damage. If not, your best bet is to send it to Panasonic for a possible repair. In that case, do not mention the fact that you sold it and got it back or anything. Just tell them that the vignetting suddenly appeared and let them tell you what the deal is.

Anyway, when vignetting occurs due to thick filters mounted on the lens, usually you see the evidence on all 4 corners, not just two. Also, when you zoom in, the vignetting disappears. Filters only cause vignetting if the lens is ultra wide and up to no more than 3x zoom. Hope this helps.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 6:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mw

I would suggest that you commiserate with the buyer but remain firm that the camera was okay before it was posted and make that the end of the discussion

Regards, Phil
Thanks Phil,
Thats what basicly I told the buyer, The camera was in perfect condition when I had it and I did not sell a "broken" unit especially when I had a warranty and Panasonic offers either over the counter exchange or 48 hours service and the camera was on the net for sale for like 3 weeks before I found the buyer. It just I feel bad for the buyer and I am trying to help him, and find out it something like this was caused by the camera setting or a physical damage.
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It seems to me that something made the sensor get out of alignment. It could have been during shipment if the carrier tossed the box around (did you mark the box as "fragile"?) or the buyer could have banged the camera somewhere, which I don't believe it is the case because you will clearly see some marks on the body. I think the seller would try to return the unit as if it was damaged on arrival. Did you insure the package when you mail it? If you did, you can go after the carrier and claim the damage. If not, your best bet is to send it to Panasonic for a possible repair. In that case, do not mention the fact that you sold it and got it back or anything. Just tell them that the vignetting suddenly appeared and let them tell you what the deal is.

Anyway, when vignetting occurs due to thick filters mounted on the lens, usually you see the evidence on all 4 corners, not just two. Also, when you zoom in, the vignetting disappears. Filters only cause vignetting if the lens is ultra wide and up to no more than 3x zoom. Hope this helps.
You see we met personally and there was no courier involved, camera was in the original box ( I put it away as soon as I had a new camera) and I know for a fact that no one in my house touched the camera and I did not drop it, hit it or shake it, what i dont know what happen when the camera was passed to the buyer and what if anything happen then. As it stands right now because I pay cash for the unit, the store did not take my info and I did not bother to register the SN of the camera with the Panasonic, so he can go/send the camera for warranty repairs/exchange himself and the turnaround is 48 hours so its not that bad, only problem is if someone dropped the camera and the warranty is voided but I know it was not me and if buyer did it well ....... I just dont like to be accused of trying to rip someone off and I was wondering what could cause this kind of "problem".
mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:52 PM   #14

Well, since there was no carrier involved, my guess is that the buyer must have dropped it (even if the camera was inside the box, the impact could have caused the sensor to shift slightly inside, enough to cause the vignetting you see). I can't think of anything else that could be causing such a problem. If no filters are attached, it must be inside.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote