Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 4, 2012, 4:20 PM   #1

Default FZ 150 Clipping corners

Hi guys, I have problem with my camera, as you can see in the attached pictures it clips the top and bottom corners, do you have any idea what could caused this? Camera is still on the warranty ( not long ) so I can return it for repairs or it the setting?
Attached Images

mistwalker1006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:09 PM   #2

G'day MW

Hmmm - clipped corners vs some minor vignetting ...
Every camera lens, esp zooms at the wide-angle end give some vignetting out towards the extreme corners. In measurable terms it might only be 10% - 20% of an EV, but it's there.

As to actual cut-off - that usually only occurs via a UV filter or somesuch on the lens barrel ~ again the lens maker does some very careful design work to prevent cutoff happening

You haven't given us anything to go on as to the camera or the lens so again it's hard to be definite ~ my 100% would be not to worry about it as a) it's pretty small & b) it can be easily pp'd out later on

Another issue is the dust bunnies over the image
-if- this is a fixed-lens camera, you definately have problems and therefore get it into the service centra asap ... if it's an SLR, then get yourself a sensor cleaning kit and follow the instructions

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 5:42 PM   #3

Thank you Phil, its a fixed lense camera my old FZ 150 I sold online and the new owner a week later send my an e mail with this problem, so I dont know if he dropped camera or hit it with something ( i know the picture counter is about 40 pictures between my last and the one he send me) but the camera still have waranty so....
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:03 PM   #4

Hmm... one of the downsides on online selling- knowing what its been subjected to.
If he returns it,make sure it has the same serial number as the one you sent him (assuming you recorded it...lol..!).
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Hmm... one of the downsides on online selling- knowing what its been subjected to.
If he returns it,make sure it has the same serial number as the one you sent him (assuming you recorded it...lol..!).

no I did not record it but I still have the original bill of sale with a serial number, as for returning, the cam was in his possession little more than a week... I see by the pics in question and my last pics difference in quality ie lense condition, dust bunnies, so I dont think I will take it back but what I can do is to send it on the warranty repair, unless warranty was voided by a damage to the camera he is out of luck.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 12:08 PM   #6
csa

Is he using any attachments, such as filters, etc.?

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2012, 3:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
Is he using any attachments, such as filters, etc.?
HE said he did not but I did not see the picture taken, I asked about the camera setting and that what he replied
" will try to answer your questions as accurately as possible. The first pictures I took with the camera were some macro shots of watches. I auto bracketed the shots to take extra images, one under and one over exposed to make sure the color of the watch was accurate. So each picture I took I got 3 shots, which is why the counter was where it was. I think the first watch shot I sent you was shot 509 or 519.
All the first shots were macro shots and I wanted to see if it was just a macro problem so I took some shots this morning (through the dirty window) and the problem was still there.
What I did tonight was I changed the image size. I selected 5M, 8M and 12M and all the images have the same clipped corners. I tried different quality settings, both raw and jpeg again with the same results. Different f-stops, again same problem. For all these pictures, I have not used any filters or the lens hood, so there could be no issues there. I believe that the camera has a flaw when you are shooting at the widest angle. I have included a shot against a wall so it is easy to see the issue as well as a close up watch shot."
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:11 PM   #8

G'day mw

Okay - so the dust bunnies are very probably marks on his windows [there's always a 1st time] !!!

The Qs are really - 1) did you ever get this "problem" when you were shooting the same way as he [the buyer] describes? and b) does Panny pass the new-camera warranty to a 2nd-hand camera? and c) are you anywhere close enough to eyeball the camera and test it yourself?

Regards, Phil
Old Oct 5, 2012, 4:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day mw

Okay - so the dust bunnies are very probably marks on his windows [there's always a 1st time] !!!

The Qs are really - 1) did you ever get this "problem" when you were shooting the same way as he [the buyer] describes? and b) does Panny pass the new-camera warranty to a 2nd-hand camera? and c) are you anywhere close enough to eyeball the camera and test it yourself?

Regards, Phil
To answer your questions:
1, The camera was warking perfectly when I had it, I never have this problem,I never had a problem with it at all.
2, NO the warranty does not pass but I still have original bill of sala and I offered to send it under it but buyer said he doesnt want to wait 4 to 8 weeks for turnoround,
3, I never had a chance to see the camera after I sold it , I sold it on sunday but first time I heard abut the problem was thursday afternoon, so I dont know what happened between sunday and thursday.

That camera was my baby, I never drop it, never hit it keep it cleaner than my car, when I got new FZ 200 I took it from the padded camera case and put it back into original box with all the stuff it came with and extra battery I got for it, and it stayed in the box untill it was sold, i know my wife did not touch it, I know my litle girl had no acess to it, I dont suspect I know so I cannot understand why this "problem" come to life,

Last edited by mistwalker1006; Oct 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old Oct 8, 2012, 2:22 AM   #10

G'day mw

Then I guess it comes down to tell the buyer
a) the camera was okay when I last used it - and here's photos to prove it
b) in the 'complete-camera' operations, the cutoff as exhibited is extremely small and only visible at 1x zoom
c) as soon as s/he zooms from 1x [27mm] to 1,25x [30mm maybe] then the cutoff will disappear
d) as 99% of images are taken using the entire 18x zoom range, this very small 1% is not significant

Here in Australia we have lots of consumer-protection legislation for both new and second-hand goods. On a small$ item like a camera, provided the seller can prove that the goods were okay before sale, the buyer cannot claim a refund after the purchase because the buyer no longer has the goods under their daily control and who knows what might have happened in the meantime ~ [big$ items like motor cars are covered in the legislation]

I would suggest that you commiserate with the buyer but remain firm that the camera was okay before it was posted and make that the end of the discussion

Regards, Phil