Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2012, 3:50 PM   #1

Default FZ18 (How many photos taken?)

I have never reset the counter and I would like to know how many photos I have taken since September 2007. I have tried to look at EXIF data but can't see anything relevant. The number of my last photo is.

P1450841

Would it be 50,841?
Stephen170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:10 AM   #2

Only the last 4 digits represent the file number. So in your case, the camera has taken 841 pictures. The thing is, this number can be reset. There are ways to find out the number of shutter actuation on some cameras but I don't believe the FZ18 is one of them. You might want to do some research.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. That can't be correct because I have taken many many more photos than 841 since September 2007. I took a few today and the last file number is now 1450930. I don't understand how it can be 1450841 on the 7th of October and 1450930 more now because I have only taken about ten photos since Sunday.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 4:19 PM   #4

G'day Stephen

On 145 occasions the folder number has clicked over, and within folder 145 you have taken 841 images

On some brands the folder clicks over regularly - by each 1000 images or by a date or by 'something' that can be set via the setup menu

You need to find what [in the setup menu] tells your camera to roll over the folder number

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:47 PM   #5

Are you using auto bracket? If so, three pictures are taken every time you press the shutter. That will quickly increase the shutter count. To check, press the top arrow on the back wheel until you see auto bracket. You can then turn it off in case it's on.

From FZ18 manual page 22

• The folder number is updated and the file
number starts from 0001. (P112)
• A folder number between 100 and 999
can be assigned.
When the folder number reaches 999, the
number cannot be reset. We recommend
formatting the card after saving the data
on a PC or elsewhere.
• To reset the folder number to 100, format
(P110) the built-in memory or the card first
and then use this function to reset the file
number.
A reset screen for the folder number will
then appear. Select [YES] to reset the
folder number.

Also, take a look at page 112.

Tullio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzie_Traveller View Post
G'day Stephen

On 145 occasions the folder number has clicked over, and within folder 145 you have taken 841 images

On some brands the folder clicks over regularly - by each 1000 images or by a date or by 'something' that can be set via the setup menu

You need to find what [in the setup menu] tells your camera to roll over the folder number

Regards, Phil
Phil, Thanks for your reply. In the set up menu I have a function where I can reset the file number but there is nothing about a folder number.

Oh so that must be why I see P145 on the computer when I upload photos. I have noticed that changing and have always deleted the previous folder on the computer when a new number came up. Doesn't look as if I can find out how many photos each folder contains though.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Are you using auto bracket? If so, three pictures are taken every time you press the shutter. That will quickly increase the shutter count. To check, press the top arrow on the back wheel until you see auto bracket. You can then turn it off in case it's on.

From FZ18 manual page 22

The folder number is updated and the file
number starts from 0001. (P112)
A folder number between 100 and 999
can be assigned.
When the folder number reaches 999, the
number cannot be reset. We recommend
formatting the card after saving the data
on a PC or elsewhere.
To reset the folder number to 100, format
(P110) the built-in memory or the card first
and then use this function to reset the file
number.
A reset screen for the folder number will
then appear. Select [YES] to reset the
folder number.

Also, take a look at page 112.
I never use auto bracket.

Can't find out how many photos are stored in one folder so unless I am making a mistake it looks as if the total shutter count can't be done.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen170 View Post
... I have noticed that changing and have always deleted the previous folder on the computer when a new number came up. Doesn't look as if I can find out how many photos each folder contains though.
My understanding is that every time the folder reaches 999 pics, a new folder gets created. What I don't know is, say you have folder 145 with 700 pics in it. You download the pics and then delete the folder, even though it hasn't reached 999. My guess is that the camera will create a new folder (146). If that's the case, then yes, you won't be able to know how many pictures each folder actually had. However, if the camera knows it's recorded 700 images in folder 145 and since this folder is no longer in the memory card it will re-crate folder 145 and record image 701, then you know that the camera shot 999 pics x 145 folders. That's a lot of pics.

Tullio
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
My understanding is that every time the folder reaches 999 pics, a new folder gets created. What I don't know is, say you have folder 145 with 700 pics in it. You download the pics and then delete the folder, even though it hasn't reached 999. My guess is that the camera will create a new folder (146). If that's the case, then yes, you won't be able to know how many pictures each folder actually had. However, if the camera knows it's recorded 700 images in folder 145 and since this folder is no longer in the memory card it will re-crate folder 145 and record image 701, then you know that the camera shot 999 pics x 145 folders. That's a lot of pics.
Yes it is a lot of pics. I doubt if I would have deleted a folder if a new one hadn't shown, but who knows what I have done.
At least the camera is still going strong. I did win an auction for a FZ45 on Ebay about 19 months ago but found the FZ18 took just as good photos and I couldn't get on with the longer zoom of the FZ45. I also found the FZ18 focussed more quickly and the normal burst mode was faster so I put the FZ45 back on Ebay and made 2 profit !
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:36 PM   #10

I had the FZ18 and then upgraded to the FZ28. I found the FZ28 better in terms of dynamic range (less highlight clipping). Since then, I've switch to m4/3 and I'm happy with it. When Panasonic announced the FZ200, it made me feel like getting one but so far I haven't been super impressed with it. Of course it's a bit too early to judge so we'll see.

Tullio