Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2004, 7:25 AM   #1

Default FZ10 wide angle

Hi. :roll:
Does somebody experiment a solution to improve FZ-10 wide angle to 28 (in 24*36 scale) , or best ?
Jean, from Paris
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2004, 12:29 PM   #2

A solution I use for my little pocket camera would work with the FZ10 albeit with a lot more work and hassle. I take two panoramas with the camera held vertically and with little overlap. My Camedia software stitches well with minimal overlap. If you us a program like Panorama Factory that like a lot of overlap just use three shots with a lot of overlap. The stitched shot is a little better than 28mm and about 8.5Mp on my 5Mp camera – probably around 7Mp with the FZ10.

I can grab such a shot very quickly with my C50. I have panorama mode moved in the menu to an immediate setting and have the three button pushes memorized. The camera fixes all the parameters on the first shot and keeps track of the panoramas in shot order for stitching. It even works for things like group shots if people aren’t moving around.

It is a project with the FZ10. You have to shoot in manual exposure and manual white balance, and then keep track of the panoramas yourself. A good way to do that is to take a shot with the lens cap on after each panorama. It is such a pain with the FZ10 a wide angle adapter might be a reasonable consideration. It is better on the FZ10 for indoor flash shots as you just have to switch to manual without messing with the white balance.

This is a sample from my Oly I used on another thread. The first shot is at full wide on the Oly which is 37mm. The second is two vertical panos stitched to give a wide angle shot from the same spot.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 2:44 PM   #3

A good way to do that is to take a shot with the lens cap on after each panorama.

Why is that?
Aviller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2004, 3:20 PM   #4

Default add-on lens for FZ-10 wide-angle

Well, well, slipe, thanks for this software lesson !
My question was more about any lens (from Panasonic, Sony, or other), doing that directly on shooting !!
jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:13 AM   #5

Quote:
A good way to do that is to take a shot with the lens cap on after each panorama.

Why is that?
If you take several panos of a particular scene it is a little work to sort out where the beginning and end of each is. The black frame marks the end of a series.

Quote:
Well, well, slipe, thanks for this software lesson !
My question was more about any lens (from Panasonic, Sony, or other), doing that directly on shooting !!
I understood your question and it wasn’t meant as a lesson. My D7i has a 28mm wide and I do just as well with my little Oly and almost as conveniently. I’ll refrain from ever making suggestions to you in the future.

I haven’t seen a lot of wide angle lens tests with the FZ10. The bottom of this page has some: http://www.b-300.com/compare5.html Some people prefer this adapter for the WCON adapters: http://www3.coara.or.jp/~shingu_t/engulish/e_top.htm

The WCON 08 is the older adapter with 0.8 correction and the WCON 07 has 0.7 – I think taking the FZ10 close to 24mm. The Oly TCON 17 tele adapters are popular with the FZ10 and relatively inexpensive and light. Other manufacturer’s wide adapters look to be larger than the WCONs and comparatively more expensive. There are plenty of inexpensive adapters but they are worse than bad.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote