Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 13, 2012, 7:08 PM   #1

Default FZ 150 Volleyball

I had such a good experience shooting a night football game with the FZ 150, I had high hopes for indoor volleyball. For my skill set anyway, it didn't work out near as well. I tried a lot of shutter speeds, ISOs and exposure settings. The problem, as I saw it, was the shutter speeds required to stop the action. The best I got was at 1/320, but even then it wasn't fast enough. Beyond that, the next step with the FZ 150 is 1/400, the light just plunged and even at ISO 3200 it was a grainy mess. I put up one shot where I zoomed in just to show how tough it was. I really has to work at post processing even to get it to look like that. Leaving it wide at least gave me f2.8. I suspect you would need at least 1/500 and ISO 6400 to really catch this sport. For what it's worth, a couple of shots. Love to see if someone could do better and let us know what you did. As is often the case, they actually printed much better than they look on screen, but still no bigger than 4X6.
Attached Images

Last edited by pboerger; Oct 14, 2012 at 2:34 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:29 AM   #2

As good a bridge the FZ-150 is, it has its limitations- and indoor sports is probably the big one... especially if the lighting is anything less than super bright.
Panny's newer FZ-200 with it's fast lens would help with closer shots, but it's small sensor will still limit things- a high iso/fast shutter speed is required on ANY camera in such environments- and I'm afraid that is the preserve of the larger sensor brigade- with a fast lens attached- for top quality results.
Still, a good effort here and if you get some decent 6x4's after a bit of PP' then I'm sure some of the players would be happy with them....
Given the FZ's limitations, try and focus (lol...) on moments which require less shutter speed- for example the server eyeballing the opposition,a despairing "hands on hips" moment and looking aghast at the referee, or someone pulling themselves up off the floor,the hugs after victory etc...

Last edited by SIMON40; Oct 14, 2012 at 4:50 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks for responding Simon. Yes, the FZ150 was simply overwhelmed by the environnment. I got the 150 as an alternative to shoot theater and musical events in small venues for a newspaper where the shutter clack of a DSLR can be very disturbing, more than a lot of shooters realize. I have had outstanding results as the stages are often very well lit and I can sit very close. After pretty good success with the football, carrying around the FZ150 versus a DSLR with an 18-250 zoom was pure pleasure, I thought maybe, just maybe indoor sports. Well, maybe not. Of course, the DSLR noise is not even a factor in that kind of setting. Very good suggestion on getting different kinds of motionless shoots that can be very compelling. Thanks.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote