Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:01 PM   #1

Default Eternal Flash with Focus Assist lamp

I have recently purchased an FZ10, after "testing" a Canon G5 for about a week. I know there are many forums and discussions as to which camera to go for, and that each camera has it's downfalls, but my final decision was the FZ10. I have a question : One of the downfalls of the FZ10 is the lack of a focus assist lamp [which I found usefull with the G5], and also, the FZ10 has a weak flash. "Is there an external "hot shoe" flash available which has a facillity incorporating a focus assist lamp." IE : with the external flash connected, pressing on a button[the focus assist button on the external flash] then one takes the shot ,and the external flash switches over from the focus assist mode to the FLASH mode as required. I 'm sure this is possible, but : Are there any available products out there??? As a newbie to any sort of photography, I would appreciate
some input. !!!
JakeTPegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:04 PM   #2

I also noobie. I take picture of Anna and eyes lite up. Make Anna bwight and take picture qweekly. Hot subject. Visited Riff and beeg head boet and sore Arn. Need beeg card, but beeg bucks. Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
zolbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 3:29 PM   #3

Nikon, Canon, Vivitar and Sunpak have dedicated units with a focus assist. If you look around you might find an automatic unit with one but I havenít run across one.

If you want a cheaper unit get a flat AA flashlight and mount some velcro on the side of the unit and on a side of the flashlight. They make velcro with some pretty good glue already on the tape. You would need at least two strips on each. Another option is a white Photon II or III. Mine that is attached to my watch band is good for focusing in complete darkness out to about 10 feet. You could mount that on the flash and hardly know it is there. You have to be able to get at both the battery and switch, so you canít just glue it on. http://www.photonlight.com/products/photon_3.html Donít get the Photon I as the switch is momentary.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 9:15 PM   #4

Slipe has a good idea with the flashlight.

The focus-assist lights on some flash units are tied into the circuitry of the camera, and there is no flash that offers this feature without being dedicated to the camera.

It's a nice idea, but there's no way to tie a generic flash into all of the different AF cameras on the market.

nj10user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:34 AM   #5

Default External flash?

I don't know if this is strictly a professional device, but isn't there flash bulbs that two tone bulbs that light up like a normal soft light long enough to focus, and then switch to a flash when you hit the shutter?

If that is the case, for non-dedicated hotshoes, why not make it so there is an additional softlight trigger on the flash unit? The softlight comes on when you hit it, and then switches to or adds the flash when you hit the trigger? Or would it just make more sense to stick with a soft light that has its own batter pack that doesn't tie in with the camera or hotshoe at all, and forget the flash altogether?

Stream of Conciousnessing FZFUN :shock:
FZFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2004, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
why not make it so there is an additional softlight trigger on the flash unit? The softlight comes on when you hit it, and then switches to or adds the flash when you hit the trigger?
Some of the dedicated units seem to work that way. I have no idea why they donít put the feature on an automatic unit. Doesnít seem you need the feedback from the camera if you turn the light on manually and the flash cancels it.

I wasnít suggesting a separate unit as a good idea compared to someone putting it in a unit. If you canít get what you want designed by engineers then you go to the jerry-rig option.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote