Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:15 PM   #11

I ENJOYED YOUR POST BUT HAVE ONE COMMENT ON THE LOGICALNESS OF THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT YOU MADE:

""Let's be reasonable, if the FZ10 really performed at 2.8 F over the entire zoom range, and it performed well, then thousands of SLR photographers would be selling their cameras and lenses and immediately purchasing their new FZ10.
Of course that isn't happening. ""

HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT ISN'T HAPPENING ?

ALSO , AS I HAVE SEEN MANY TIMES, THE POPULARITY OF A PRODUCT IS NOT ALWAYS THE RESULT OF IT'S QUALITY BUT THE MARKETING SKILLS OF THE ADVERTISING DEPARTMENT.

DON'T YOU MAKE FUN OF MY NEW CAMERA
LOU

You guyz will like your FZ10. For the following reasons:
- it's cute, like a tank with a smile
- it opens up for you quickly, quicker than any Canon I've ever used
- it feels good every time you hold it
- it's cute, like a tank (did I already say that?)
- it takes excellent outdoor photographs, even from a moving vehicle when "you" are the driver with a camera held, like an idiot, over the steering wheel, testing the image stabality, which works, even at the top end.
- it feels good every time you hold it
- it's cute, like a tank with a smile (did I already say that?)
- you keep looking at the SLR, then the G5, then the FZ10, and say to yourself, heck, I'll take the FZ10 (on the weekend when nothing important is happening but you want to be prepared for that something that always happens when you are prepared for nothing...as I draw a breath)
- you will love it, have fun
- and it's probably taking so long to get that telephoto extension out because Panasonic knows they have a good thing, and they want to make the extension work "real" well. Hang in there for a bit and the toy will even feel better
- end

PS - I'm not confused, I'm tickled pink

PPS - BUT, if you have dreams of taking professional photos, with pro quality, then don't think that you will get that sort of thing with this camera. It's great for what it was built for, but it was not built to be an SLR contender. If it was, the pros would be flocking to buy it. That isn't happening, for good reason. If I have any intention whatsoever of taking a photograph that will stand up to professional standards, or even "begin" to stand up, then I will shelf my FZ10 and dig out my DSLR with all of those costly lenses because I now know, fully well, that that is the only way to get to that destination.

Let's be reasonable, if the FZ10 really performed at 2.8 F over the entire zoom range, and it performed well, then thousands of SLR photographers would be selling their cameras and lenses and immediately purchasing their new FZ10.

Of course that isn't happening.

I'm only saying this so that some of you out there don't get any delusions that the FZ10 will compete with the SLR, or DSLR with fast lenses and "L" quality glass, or the equivalent. It ain't gonna happen, so either dig deeper into your pocketbook or change your dream.

End[/quote]
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:16 PM   #12

CAN YOU EXPLAIN THE CCD ASPECT FOR A NEWBIE

THANKS LOI

from what I have seen and heard, the FZ10 lense is not what keeps it from contending with the dSLR. It is the CCD.[/quote]
Old Feb 15, 2004, 12:49 PM   #13

The CCD "problem" is that it is a lot smaller (phyiscally) than a DLSR's CCD. Even if there are the same number of pixels in a CCD of a DSLR and of the FZ10, the DSLR will have a better picture because the pixels themselves are phyiscally bigger. This allows for less image noise and makes the pictures clearer.

If you compare the CCD of the FZ10 to a DSLR, the DSLR will be much better, but if you compare the CCD of the FZ10 with other "typical" digital cameras they are pretty much the same.

Some people think that since the lens is awesome (which it is) and since there are 4 million pixels, it will automaticly take pictures as good as a DSLR. That isn't true (for the most part at least, it really depends on who takes the picture) because people often forget to think about the size of the CCD.

Basicly to sum it up, with a CCD of the same Megapixels and a bigger CCD means that it would take better pictures, with smaller CCD it would take worse pictures (it is a bit more complicated than that, but that is the general rule).

Of course it is still very possible to take awesome pictures with the FZ10 (I have seem many).
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2004, 1:17 PM   #14

THANKS FOR THE INFO
VERY INTERESTING, BUT MAYBE I MISUNDERSTAND

1) THIS TOTALLY CONFUSED ME COULD YOU CLARIFY WHAT YOU WERE TRYING TO GET AT
"Some people think that since the lens is awesome (which it is) and since there are 4 million pixels, it will automaticly take pictures as good as a DSLR. That isn't true (for the most part at least, it really depends on who takes the picture) because people often forget to think about the size of the CCD."

2) ALSO DOES THE PHYSICAL SIZE OF THE CAMERA HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT? WHY ARE THE PIXELS SMALLER ON THE F10 THAN AN SLR? WHAT ARE THE LIMITATIONS THAT CAUSE THIS RESULT?

LOU

]The CCD "problem" is that it is a lot smaller (phyiscally) than a DLSR's CCD. Even if there are the same number of pixels in a CCD of a DSLR and of the FZ10, the DSLR will have a better picture because the pixels themselves are phyiscally bigger. This allows for less image noise and makes the pictures clearer.

If you compare the CCD of the FZ10 to a DSLR, the DSLR will be much better, but if you compare the CCD of the FZ10 with other "typical" digital cameras they are pretty much the same.

Some people think that since the lens is awesome (which it is) and since there are 4 million pixels, it will automaticly take pictures as good as a DSLR. That isn't true (for the most part at least, it really depends on who takes the picture) because people often forget to think about the size of the CCD.

Basicly to sum it up, with a CCD of the same Megapixels and a bigger CCD means that it would take better pictures, with smaller CCD it would take worse pictures (it is a bit more complicated than that, but that is the general rule).

Of course it is still very possible to take awesome pictures with the FZ10 (I have seem many).[/quote]