Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1

Default New FZ10 - introduction

I bought a FZ10 and am happily awaiting the arrival of the camera. I spent quite a while mulling over the options for a long zoom camera, why I wanted one, and what it might do for me. I guess I'll find out. I checked out the Minolta, the Olympus, the Kodak and the Panasonic.The stabilized lens won me over.
I have taken lots of pictures with my Minolta 300 and have used the photos mostly to make video slideshows. I combine them with music, some of my own performances and others, original artwork and creative effects. I also have a video camera but "slideshows" in combination with video footage is a very creative artform. I'm now at a point in which the longer zoom has a lot of appeal and the lower resolution ( 4 ) in comparison to the Minolta 300 ( 5 mgp.) will work just fine with a video slideshow. I'm a bit wary of the Panasonic's ability to get a picture in low light. It seems to be the failing of digital *and* conventional cameras With the Minolta and no flash assistance any picture that requires more than the wide angle is very problematic.
I really have no illusions that the FZ10 works any better in low light conditions than my Minolta but maybe it'll prove me wrong. I'm hoping my FZ10 will get here before I need to photograph a theater performance. My phiiosophy is that it is better to get a picture rather than no picture at all.
Like so many photographers here who have had years of experience with film-based cameras the transition to digital has been a bit strange. For me, and I've heard this sentiment expressed a lot, it has revived my interest in photography. - SoOregon
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:51 PM   #2

I just got my FZ10 a week ago and really like it except for the low light focus. But there again all ultra zooms have that problem ( especoally my buddies Nikon 5700) :lol:
ghurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 7:17 AM   #3

SPAM, SPAM, SPAM...

Me too has this camera, but there is no reason to talk about talking. Even in my case - I live on the other side of the world. But camere were boghti in USA.
Vaards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:50 PM   #4

I've had pretty good luck with my Minolta by using a slave flash, the one I have is a Phoenix D49-BZS that can work with the digital pre-flash and my Minolta. There is no hot shoe on my point-and-shoot. You can place the slave where you need it and it provides a lot more illumination and the ability to minimize shadows. Unfortunately you can't use it indoors in anything other than a posed situation.

I have also had better luck focusing my camera in low light conditions by adjusting the EV. I got this tip from a forum on Digital Photography Review. I've also had some success when I've changed the orientation of the camera so that I focus on a light/dark area horizontally rather than vertically in the picture. I'll do whatever I can to get the picture to focus. I'm not a good estimator of distances so manual focus for me is problematic.

I'm expecting my Panasonic tomorrow and I'll be able to compare how the focus works in low light situations.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaards
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM...

Me too has this camera, but there is no reason to talk about talking. Even in my case - I live on the other side of the world. But camere were boghti in USA.

I'm confused. . .
awikenheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:22 PM   #6

You guyz will like your FZ10. For the following reasons:
- it's cute, like a tank with a smile
- it opens up for you quickly, quicker than any Canon I've ever used
- it feels good every time you hold it
- it's cute, like a tank (did I already say that?)
- it takes excellent outdoor photographs, even from a moving vehicle when "you" are the driver with a camera held, like an idiot, over the steering wheel, testing the image stabality, which works, even at the top end.
- it feels good every time you hold it
- it's cute, like a tank with a smile (did I already say that?)
- you keep looking at the SLR, then the G5, then the FZ10, and say to yourself, heck, I'll take the FZ10 (on the weekend when nothing important is happening but you want to be prepared for that something that always happens when you are prepared for nothing...as I draw a breath)
- you will love it, have fun
- and it's probably taking so long to get that telephoto extension out because Panasonic knows they have a good thing, and they want to make the extension work "real" well. Hang in there for a bit and the toy will even feel better
- end

PS - I'm not confused, I'm tickled pink

PPS - BUT, if you have dreams of taking professional photos, with pro quality, then don't think that you will get that sort of thing with this camera. It's great for what it was built for, but it was not built to be an SLR contender. If it was, the pros would be flocking to buy it. That isn't happening, for good reason. If I have any intention whatsoever of taking a photograph that will stand up to professional standards, or even "begin" to stand up, then I will shelf my FZ10 and dig out my DSLR with all of those costly lenses because I now know, fully well, that that is the only way to get to that destination.

Let's be reasonable, if the FZ10 really performed at 2.8 F over the entire zoom range, and it performed well, then thousands of SLR photographers would be selling their cameras and lenses and immediately purchasing their new FZ10.

Of course that isn't happening.

I'm only saying this so that some of you out there don't get any delusions that the FZ10 will compete with the SLR, or DSLR with fast lenses and "L" quality glass, or the equivalent. It ain't gonna happen, so either dig deeper into your pocketbook or change your dream.

End
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:30 PM   #7

I would have to agree with Normcar. I just recieved my FZ10 yesterday and I LOVE it. It is perfect for my purposes (taking family type pictures that I don't intend to sell to anyone). The image quality is great (of course a DSLR would blow it away) and it is a great all-around camera.

So just as long as you think of it as a "normal" camera and not a DSLR, you will be very happy with it.

I'll post some of my pictures soon, but I am still learning the ropes of this camera, so don't judge my pictures to be the best the camera can do.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:03 AM   #8

It got here! Wonderful camera. I've yet to explore the whole menu. I've been pretty successful with any low light shots I've taken. With the manual focus and the LCD I get a much higher percentage of infocus shots that I can get with my Minolta. I think I will experiment more with my slave flash and the hot shoe. For now I'm very pleased with the results I've gotten.

One thing I found surprising is how this camera works with the SD card I have for my Minolta. It is a plain vanilla Sandisc that I had formatted in the Minolta and it still had a few pictures on it. I just stuck it in the Panasonic and the pictures showed up and I had no trouble taking Panasonic pictures. I was prepared to reformat the card. Then when I moved the card back to the Minolta, the Minolta showed the Panasonic pictures and all of the pics transferred easily to my computer. I thought you couldn't share cards between cameras?
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:56 AM   #9

from what I have seen and heard, the FZ10 lense is not what keeps it from contending with the dSLR. It is the CCD.
chiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2004, 9:12 AM   #10

I went to a theater production last night and took over 100 photos. I could not be more pleased with the results especially considering I had no idea what I was doing. I sat about two rows back from the stage which wasn't the best position but then I didn't have people sitting in front of me. The stage lighting was awful and of course I couldn't use flash. I set the camera to P mode, spot metering, EVF mostly and with the Mode 2 stabilizer on. The camera defaulted to 2.8 with very slow shutter speeds and 200 ISO. I say I got a 60 percent useable percentage of shots. If I had known the story or had been able to go the dress rehearsal I would have a gotten a better result. The problem wasn't with what the camera could do but just how difficult live theater photography is. With the 12X I could zoom right to a head shot but with the telephoto extended all the way in the lighting I had my shots were not in focus due to jitter. Many of the "marginal" ones have great dramatic interest and are good photos. Amazing camera.