Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:45 PM   #1

Default FZ100 v Nikon P510

Not exactly a full Panasonic question (well sort of) I have just been looking at Nikons top of the range bridge, as I used to be a Nikite and I have had many different slr's by them over the years, starting with a very dated Nikkormat full manual camera, then I got myself a very tasty Nikon FM again full manual but very high quality and rock solid build (all metal), and my last and first DSLR was a D40.

So I was wondering how good their P510 Is compared to my FZ100, not In speed or video but more Importantly In Image Quality, especialy towards the end of Its zoom range 700-1000mm, as I have been having to use the EZ range of my Fz, to get closer to subjects I photograph like planes, but because of how the EZ works, I know It Is taking away some of the IQ and the only way to avoid this would be to use just the normal zoom without EZ etc.

P.
Paganman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:52 PM   #2

I guess if you're going to be using the long end of the zoom- as you would shooting aircraft- then optical zoom rules...!
However, it might be an idea if possible to see how well the image stabiliser on the P510 copes with it's rather large zoom...and AF performance will be key on small hazy subjects also...!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the Info simon, I have started looking Into the pros and cons of keeping my FZ100 after finding some of my old Canon SX10IS pictures of many subjects but Including planes, and I have to admit the IQ of the little sx10 was quite abit better than my FZ100.
Planes taken at 20-30,000 feet just seem so much sharper and reveal alot more definition and sharpness, yet when I had that camera I became disheartened by It after seeing what the sx40hs could do, thats what made me decide to Invest In the Panny Fz100 but I know regret and miss the purity and noiseless Images I was getting despite the age of the camera.

P.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 8:27 PM   #4

A pic from my old Canon SX10IS the plane was flying at about 26,000 feet and about 6 miles away, I used the zoom at full extension of 560mm, and then cropped It abit In PP.

P.
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:12 AM   #5

All the S and SX range- including the SX40 and no doubt the SX50 are great camera's and do produce less noise than the equivalent Panny's.
Maybe consider a tele-converter to put on your FZ-100 for some extra optical reach- or for your SX10is if you still have it...
Here's my old S3is with a Sony Tele-converter attached...
Attached Images

SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote