Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Default Came This Close To Getting an FZ200

When they came out for $599 I thought that was a little bit pricey and I would wait until Black Friday** to get one if the price was a good one. Well, the price on Amazon dropped to $549 a bit before Black Friday, and I had hopes, but it did not go any lower on that day. I did look at used ones on Amazon. I think the used ones are returns. Some are listed in very good condition but with minor cosmetic damage. I won't get one of those. They had one though, listed as like new. That one was about $428, so a good deal. But no warranty. Can buy an aftermarket warranty on Amazon for $44. Still cheaper by a good bit than a new one, but I kept not deciding. Then I fell asleep, and in the morning the camera was up to $488. Add the warranty and we are quite close to that $549. Which I still think is pricey.

So, after walking on the beach with the wife and shooting gulls with the FZ150, I went back with my E-PL1 camera and a 175mm Panasonic lens and shot them some more, and then came home and ordered a Panasonic 100-300mm lens. Which may be more cumbersome than an FZ camera, but it was a hundred dollars cheaper instead of fifty, and will be fun to play with.

I am not too sad though: the only reason I wanted the FZ200 was to check out that f/2.8 lens. My FZ150 still works just fine. One shot from it below.

** The day after the American Thanksgiving Holiday, a day of traditional sales on almost everything.
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:58 PM   #2

That sounds so familiar. I'm perfectly happy with the FZ150, and my Panasonic 100-300mm on my GF1. This is a beautiful lens, you will enjoy it.

FZ150:

GF1:

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~

Last edited by saly; Nov 24, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:05 PM   #3

Still shooting with the FZ35 and loving it. Not as much about what camera but who is behind it.

jj
Old Nov 25, 2012, 7:46 PM   #4

Thanks Saly. I'm sure I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Still shooting with the FZ35 and loving it. Not as much about what camera but who is behind it.

jj
I would still be happily shooting with my FZ35 if I had not gone and dropped the darn thing. I was sure the strap was around my neck when I let go. Honest!
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
That sounds so familiar. I'm perfectly happy with the FZ150, and my Panasonic 100-300mm on my GF1. This is a beautiful lens, you will enjoy it.
Although not a picture from my FZ camera, this is one of the first ones from the Panasonic lens. It does have a lot of potential. I found this bird a few days ago, he is rare here, and figured I would use him for my first shots.
If he is still there tomorrow I might get him with the FZ.
Attached Images