Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:55 AM   #1

Default SELECTION OF ULTRAPOD - I OR II ?

I NEED TO BUY AN ULTRAPOD.

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME ADVICE ON WHTHER TO GET THE #I OR THE #II FOR USE WITH F10 "THE LIGHTER THE BETTER" OR__________

"Small size weighs 2 oz. and folds to 1 1/4 x 5 inches. Large 4 oz.; folds to 1 3/4 x 7 1/4. Large size recommended for camcorders, large 35mm cameras, etc".

SOME EXAMPLES OF USING IT WOULD BE HELPFUL

THANKS
LOU
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:44 PM   #2

For what it is worth I have had an Ultrapod for my little Oly C50 for a couple of years and like it. I ordered an Ultrapod II for my FZ10 as the Ultrapod is a little skimpy IMO for that sized camera. The FZ10 isnít heavy and the small Ultrapod works fine as a tabletop tripod. But my primary use is in attaching the folded Ultrapod to whatever is handy, and the FZ10 is just too big and heavy for that.

The Ultrapod II is only 4 ounces, so it isnít a load to carry. Iím expecting mine any day Ė Iíll give you a report of how well it works with the FZ10 for attaching to chairs, benches, poles etc if you are interested.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 1:07 PM   #3

Default ULTRPOD

THANKS I'M STILL INTERESTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
For what it is worth I have had an Ultrapod for my little Oly C50 for a couple of years and like it. I ordered an Ultrapod II for my FZ10 as the Ultrapod is a little skimpy IMO for that sized camera. The FZ10 isnít heavy and the small Ultrapod works fine as a tabletop tripod. But my primary use is in attaching the folded Ultrapod to whatever is handy, and the FZ10 is just too big and heavy for that.

The Ultrapod II is only 4 ounces, so it isnít a load to carry. Iím expecting mine any day Ė Iíll give you a report of how well it works with the FZ10 for attaching to chairs, benches, poles etc if you are interested.
PAISANO5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:08 PM   #4

This is the small Ultrapod on the FZ10. It is front heavy but the tripod holds it fine. Doesnít work at all hooking it to things with the velcro strap. I left the strap extended so you can see how long it is. The Ultrapod II strap is thicker and I presume a little longer. Iíll know when I get it.

I got the silver camera because black just gets too hot in the Florida sun. The way the viewfinder sits out from the camera the reflections from the silver body were so bad in bright sunlight that I had trouble seeing the EVF, so I put a telescope eyepiece on the camera. Works great. I would even use it on a black FZ10 if I had one.

I used a couple of two sided velcro straps to attach the Ultrapod to the outside of my pouch. I had to do some radical curves in Photoshop so you could see the black on black so it looks a little funky. The shiny strap in the middle of the Ultrapod is the built-in velcro strap and the ones on either side are the two sided velcro strips to hold it to the bag.

The bag normally holds my cellphone, small camera, PDA and a 9mm Uzi. The tripod on the exterior is partly to camouflage it as a camera bag. I found a nice nylon fanny pack at the flea market for the FZ10 and intend attaching the Ultrapod II the same way Ė probably across the top. I keep old mouse pads and use the dense foam to pad the fanny pack Ė that way I can get a bag I like rather than limit myself to just camera bags. And I only pay $5 for the privilege of getting a bag I like.

Old Feb 10, 2004, 2:38 PM   #5

Can you tell me how the rubber eyepiece attaches to the EVF and where you got it? I ordered a silver camera as well.
SoOregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2004, 4:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoOregon
Can you tell me how the rubber eyepiece attaches to the EVF and where you got it? I ordered a silver camera as well.
I did it very quickly and will take the time to do it better someday Ė like when it falls off if it ever does.

I used contact cement to attach the top and bottom. Then I did the same with the ends and used a black fabric tape to cinch is all down. Works OK and no light gets through.

The same eyecup fit perfectly on my D7i but the base is considerably larger than the piece it fits to on the FZ10. The right way to do it would be to slit the base of the eyepiece in Vs at all four corners. Then use a really strong glue once you get it to fit right. I like Velcro glue for that sort of thing but it is hard to find. Any strong glue would work and you wouldnít need the black fabric tape if you glued it well.

The EVF looks terrific as it blocks out all of the ambient light.

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...keyword=rubber
Old Feb 12, 2004, 11:19 PM   #7

If you're looking for something that provides you with more options, you may want to check out the following on Ebay:

Compact Travel Tripod

I bought one for my FZ1, but it also works fine with my heavier Sony video camera, too. Basically, it will give you a 10" table-top tripod that extends to 49" for use as a regular tripod, too. Comes with a really nice nylon case and has a ball head on it. The above link is to a $22 buy-it-now listing, but the same Ebay seller has it listed in regular auctions starting (and ending) at just $15.

I also have something very similar to the ultrapod in my camera bag, but I use it so rarely that I don't even know why I keep it in there. With the purchase of the above tripod, I probably won't ever use this ultra-small one again.
EffZeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote