Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Default Quality diffs between fz200 & fz60?

Hi folks, I am new to the forum, and posted a question (maybe too complex) over in what camera should i buy?

i am a long-term lumix user have a tz1 and fp3 (for travel) and a handful of old old digis (a minolta with .3 mp, one of the first olympus) forgot the nos, as i basically never use them. Several other lumix in the household (but the best belong to my daughter who is away at college).

I am looking to move up. Would love a 200, but really can't afford it right now.
Have an fz60 being delivered any day... because the sale price was expiring, but am considering getting a used 150 or 100 instead.
Any thoughts?

(I am also considering a coyple of others, e.g. looked at the gf3 as it is on sale for the sale price, but cost of lenses is keeping me from getting it)

I cam a hot glass artist. Mostly it will be used for shooting glass. Want good pics & a good lens. Many pieces are under 1" and so need a good macro.

I realize that the gf3 would have sufficed for that, and costs about the same (current sale price) But i want to be able to use it all around: kids, landscape (I live in Hawaii) and most of the kid pix are at performances where the zoom on my tz falls short.

Long sotry short, i am on a tight budget and considering the fz60 vs a used 150 or 100 (maybe even earlier)

Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by eswope; Dec 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM.
eswope is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2012, 2:02 PM   #2

Since you are going to shoot macro so much, why are you considering a hybrid (long zoom) camera? I'd consider the LX7 instead. It has a very fast lens which will help keep the ISO down when shooting macros in low light (usually indoor) conditions. The LX7 has excellent macro capability as well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:12 AM   #3

Thanks Tullio,
I am looking at the bridge cameras because i want an all arounder. My primary need is for glass, but I also have a son in his school's orchestra & Jazz band who often performs in large spaces (stadium, school gym) and can barely pick him out of the crowd with the 7x zoom on my tz.

My daughter bought the lx-5 when it was on special last year (black friday) and loves it, but she has 20-30 cameras, so a good special purpose camera is fine for her. For me, it will be my primary, replacing the other 2, except at places like Disney. (I bought the FP to have an inexpensive camera I didn't need to worry about in places like that) but do not expect the same quality pictures on it.

I had decided on the fz150, but then someone bought it (had found a used one in my price range at B & h) but it disappeared while I was deciding. Now i am waiting to see if another comes up, or if the price drops on the 200.
Thanks again.

Last edited by eswope; Dec 5, 2012 at 8:14 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 8:54 AM   #4

You can watch this site.

http://www.keh.com/
Old Dec 5, 2012, 10:55 AM   #5

It sounds like ths FZ200 would be the ideal choice. The reason is because shooting long distance inside gyms usually require a lot of light. The fact that the FZ200 has a fast lens across the entire zoom range is a huge plus as it will keep the ISO under control in those low light situations so you can increase the shutter speed to reduce motion blur w/o getting a lot of noise. I'd suggest you save some $$ and get the FZ200.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 11:12 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
It sounds like ths FZ200 would be the ideal choice. The reason is because shooting long distance inside gyms usually require a lot of light. The fact that the FZ200 has a fast lens across the entire zoom range is a huge plus as it will keep the ISO under control in those low light situations so you can increase the shutter speed to reduce motion blur w/o getting a lot of noise. I'd suggest you save some $$ and get the FZ200.
Agree.

jj
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:53 PM   #7

Oh yes, I do too. The difficulty for me is the price, while paying for tuition x2 (i look at the bills and tell the kids how many leicas or panasonics/ year their education is costing me.
But, i do have those tuition bills, and so have to either wait for the price to come down (which it has, a bit) or compromise.