Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 7, 2012, 10:48 AM   #1

Default Wide angle distortion?

Leaning trees, do all wideangles do this? This bothers me to no end, how do you deal with it or do you? I have used a edit program to crop a skewed edit but it really chops up the photo and still does not entirely solve the problem. I am told Lightroom will automatically fix this problem when you put in the lens it was shot with but does this also crop the photo and will it see and fix a superzoom like my FZ47?
I'm always fighting this with the buildings I shoot and just hate it, what is a fix, new camera, new lens, new edit program, stop shooting wideangle?
Original shot:

Fixed edit:
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Yes, ALL cameras do this. Photoshop, Elements, and other PP software have features to correct this type of distortion.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:43 PM   #3

G'day ooL

I'm a little surprised with this one - as I and others here use this "optical delusion" on occasions to great effect

For as long as the camera's focus plane [or film in film cameras] remains perfectly vertical, then all verticals seen by the camera will be vertical. But as soon as you tilt the camera up or down, all verticals will start to 'tilt' inwards or outwards depending upon whether the camera is pointing up or down from perfectly vertical

[ps- look up vvc's images "Alone in a far away land..." > they're the greatest collection of such images I have ever seen]

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 3:52 AM   #4

I thought so. The first photo looked very normal to me, with the camera aimed at the centre - looking up from standing position to the top of the trees in the front . This would happen even if you did not attach the wide angle lens.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:39 PM   #5

Ok, the trees really aren't that bad perhaps a bad example, my frustration with the FZ's wide angle stems from shots like this that I take a lot of and fight with. Now I wonder if I had taken this shot with a $3000 Nikon wide angle (for instance) would it look distorted this same way?

Last edited by outofline99; Dec 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:50 PM   #6

Maybe you should buy that $3000 Nikon wide angle.

jj
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:30 PM   #7

I'm not trying to dis-respect the FZ's, I have owned three of them (FZ20, FZ35, FZ47) and have been please with many of the shots I have taken. I don't have a DSLR to test these shots on to see if the FZ's wide angle is the problem. I just would like to find a editing solution to this or if another camera is the fix then that might be what I need to aim for. If I could afford a $3000 Nikon I probably would have one, reality is I'm cheap and I probably wouldn't spend that much but $1000 I might consider if it helped to solve this issue!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 3:29 PM   #8

G'day ooL

Okay - can I help a bit more to 'confuse' things

Like you, I love the FZs + similar beasties, so I have the same issues as you do

On 1x zoom we are using the lens at "28mm equiv" or "24mm equiv" in film-camera terms - and this is not nearly wide enough on many occasions

Now a "28mm" lens sees a 65deg horizontal x 45degree vertical [approx] area > and we to successfully shoot the sort of building you are showing us, needs 100deg x 65deg sort of thing to do it without distortions

So I put the camera into portrait mode & shoot 3 or 4 images in pano mode & stitch them together

a) it's a damn sight cheaper than a dSLR + a good w/a lens, and
b) I can use all the little tricks that the FZ offers me with its many & various settings

The 'trick' to successful building photography is to keep the back of the camera as vertical as possible [even if this means getting lots of grass].

A second solution is to use PS Element's Filter > Correct camera distortion gizmo 'coz it does work a treat

I can post some images if you like ...
Regards, Phil
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:35 PM   #9

I found a youtube video of building photography and saw the photographer correct the distortion while editing. I had been doing the same thing trying to fix it but just not the right way.

What do you think?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 2:35 PM   #10

G'day ooL

Seems fine - what technique are you using??
ps- btw do you have PS Elements?

Phil