Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 13, 2012, 4:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofline99 View Post
?..
Question is, can you feel respected amongst other photogs with a sony in your hand?? ...
You should get respect for the quality of your work and not the equipment you use to do your work. In the end, what matters most is how happy YOU are with your pictures once you download them to your computer. It won't do you any good to show off this big monster camera if you are not happy with the results it gives you. Once you share an image, the viewer has no idea how impressive (or not) your gear is. At my son's school I see a lot of teenagers walking around taking pictures with expensive DSLRs. They don't stop to compose the image or adjust the aperture for a particular effect or anything. They just point and shoot. I guarantee you most of the pictures they take like that are garbage, with incorrect exposure, motion blur, you name it. But, they show off their expensive equipment their parents bought them. So, I wouldn't base my decision on how impressive you'll look holding a N3100.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:57 PM   #12

Pic 1. Pana Fz47
Pic 2. Sony DSLR A57
Pic 3. Nikon D3200
CrazyTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:35 PM   #13

This always seems to happen when a DSLR is put up against a bridge or point and shoot.
The real difference is that the latter cameras are set up for out of the camera shots to be ready to print. Where as a DSLR is not, generally they are set up somewhat muted so that the photographer can set the camera up to their own taste. Just go into the menu set the white balance/ sharpness / contrast and brightness to taste then make a comparison with each camera giving it's best shot. Straight out of the box a DSLR will never win. IMHO.
Go into levels for example then see the results. If you dont want to post or pre process get a bridge.
My D5100 in a Church for example will nock spots of any small sensor camera but on the beach in bright sunshine it's closer to call. But the dynamic range is still better.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Dec 14, 2012 at 3:39 PM.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 3:55 PM   #14

So deadshot you are happy with the d5100? It's the one I feel best about in my searching. And the refurb at $449 is in the ball park for me.
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2012, 7:03 PM   #15

is it possible the demo cameras you used had been demo'd before and the nikon was not at default settings. ive not had any yellowing on mine and the reds pop beautifully. i'd be happy to show you some of my work if it helps put your mind to rest. ive done a lot of hdr with it too and plenty of black and whites. found it to be a great portrait camera also.

testing is important and i was in your shoes for some time a few months back before settling on the Nikon. but at the end of the day, it wasnt a close finish, it was a clear winner.

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5100-vs-Sony-SLT-A57

this review has a lot to say about pros and cons and helped a lot.

my opinion on the Sony is that it appears good at a glance but has a slightly superzoom feel about it. in that i mean, it has a lot of features, it has image stabilisation, and it has a digital viewfinder as apposed the Nikon's pentamirror. saving battery life and clarity is very important. the gadgets on the Nikon are plenty to keep you tinkering and the reliability and sharpness is beyond anything i experienced with my panny fz100. lenses too are a big point, 169 nikon lenses against the 92 available to the sony, and sony lenses are expensive.

and your comment about the image of carrying a Nikon over a Sony is one i fully understand. with the Sony in your hand you'll feel like an enthusiast, but the nikon feels like you just prized it from a paparazzis swaety palm!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:52 PM   #16

Thanks FITCIP for the post, I would love to see some of your D5100 shots, and FZ100 also! I'm sure one could take great shots with both cameras Nikon and Sony (even a canon) but when people ask what you shoot with and you say a Sony to me it just doesn't sound impressive, but you say Nikon and then they go "oh wow"! Like now for instance when I am among other photographers when I say I shoot with a Panasonic super zoom at that I don't get a lot of respect. After they see some of my shots thier opinion may change but for that instance I feel like I showed up to Sturgis on a mini bike!
Old Dec 15, 2012, 1:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Thanks FITCIP for the post, I would love to see some of your D5100 shots, and FZ100 also! I'm sure one could take great shots with both cameras Nikon and Sony (even a canon) but when people ask what you shoot with and you say a Sony to me it just doesn't sound impressive, but you say Nikon and then they go "oh wow"! Like now for instance when I am among other photographers when I say I shoot with a Panasonic super zoom at that I don't get a lot of respect. After they see some of my shots thier opinion may change but for that instance I feel like I showed up to Sturgis on a mini bike!
Outofline99, there are many reasons to choose among the different brands, and your reason is legitimate. In the end, most differences between dslrs are negligible. Image quality, color, saturation, and sharpness are products of the photographer. Especially with a dslr.

I started out with a Nikon D50, which I loved. I found after a few years I needed image stabilization, so I went with a Sony. That was 2008, and I still shoot with it. As far as respectability goes, if someone makes fun of my Sony, I will break it over their head and go buy another Nikon.

Went to Sturgis this past August, here's a pic of me and my mini-bike..

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2012, 4:34 AM   #18

Mini bike, that a Tricycle which is even worse! Funny, glad you took my concern in stride, the sony actually had many great features like 12fps over the nikon 4. I shoot my sons football team and love the 10fps at 3mp of the panny I have and I would not even think of selling it because of that. And also the sony has a much better faster live view which coming from the FZ47 I would appreciate.
But I have had two Sony camcorders (8mm and Hi8) and both went bad and the 8mm even was recording the tapes at the wrong speed so by the time I discovered it and it went totally bad I had record about ten tapes of family that was now not playable in any 8mm device because of the slow timing record speed. I had to pay a tech to take another Sony 8mm I bought and de-tune the speed to get a playable picture to hurry and put it to DVD. Out of the ten tapes it took 3 different tunings to recover the recordings.
Oh ya and I was a Red guy in the way of I wanted HD DVD to win the war over blur-ray so again that made me much more of a anti Sony guy, I was laughing when they screwed up Fifth Element on Bluray the first run. Not that Toshiba didn't do it's own screw ups with HD DVD.
And for Canon DSLR it seems everyone I know has one so being a rebellious type that I am I refuse to join that group. That is really why I went with Panny FZ's to begin with, and the fact I liked the panny's FZ's over the canon superzooms.

Oh I like the Trike by the way!

Last edited by outofline99; Dec 15, 2012 at 4:38 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:02 AM   #19

Quote:
So deadshot you are happy with the d5100? It's the one I feel best about in my searching. And the refurb at $449 is in the ball park for me.
I'm very happy with my D5100 I had the D5000 before that and was tempted by a good p/ex deal. What I like compared with the D5000 is the live view is pretty good much better, I much prefer the red dot focus points than the black squares the the D5k had( easier to see in poor light). HDR I haven't really used yet but will come in useful.The swing out LCD is more useful than the drop down the D5k had.
I used to have the D40x which was pretty good out of the box.
I also like my Pana FZ7 my first digital camera, when I bought it I sold a film SLR to buy it and told everyone I would not get another SLR. BUT when on holiday I love going into old buildings like the Vatican in Rome etc and photographing great art works such as in the Hermitage museum in St Petersburgh Russia. I just had to get another SLR the Pana was not up to it, you just need a larger sensor and until they can put a large sensor into a small body, which probably means never. I personally am going to be stuck with a DSLR of some sort.
The micro 4/3rds is going someway to compromise but they are almost as heavy and large as my D5100 and a lot more expensive.
I still use my FZ7 mainly on the beach on sunny days it's good for standing in the salt spray and zooming onto my grandkids surfing away out.
I wouldn't take my beloved DSLR anywhere near that,sand, salt seawater splashes yuck.
I've posted these very badly far too big a not very high quality but they are straight out of the camera plus I had the in camera sharpness set to 0 by accident, so put them onto your own pc and see how well they will come up.The light in these Parisian building was poor.
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod

Last edited by deadshot; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:28 AM   #20

I had another go but I've only used 600 pixels.
If I was posting pics on a look at how good these are I wouldn't sell anything, I'm just rubbish at posting pics.
I chose these two mainly to show poor lighting, there was hundreds of people jostling about so despite a peaceful looking setting they were just grab shots .
I've had a little go with photoshop this ,just levels and sharpness. I hope they come out better.My first use of the D5100.
Attached Images

Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod