Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:04 PM   #1
csa

Default Setting "Quality" modes?

What would give the best quality images for landscape; Fine, RAW + Fine, or RAW?

This is for the FZ's.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 22, 2012, 2:50 PM   #2

G'day Carol

As I'm sure you are aware, RAW format does not invoke the JPEG compression + colour palette algorithms, and thus will always give the "best" quality. During your post-processing you will eventually need to save as a JPG in order to view & print the image, and at that stage, compression will take place

My understanding of 'Fine' is that it is a compression of 1:4 - and although the JPEG algorithm works on a block of 16 x 16 pixels for its compression algorithm, it is easy to think of it as "keep-1, delete-1, keep-1, delete-1" sort of thing. Then during viewing / editing / printing the system inserts a pixel back into the image via copying every pixel found and pasting it into the 'empty' space next to it [sort of thing]

I believe that for most of us in our day-to-day photography, we have enough in-camera pixels to permit this shuffling of pixels without ever being aware of its happening, and certainly without any serious visible degradation of the image itself

I guess that the bottom line is printing & viewing - is it okay & sharp?
From my old Panny FZ30 I had magazine covers & full-page illustrations to my credit & have printed many images to 16" wide prints pretty regularly, and they are all okay on my lounge room wall ~ so JPG 'fine' works for me

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 3:23 PM   #3
csa

Phil, thanks for a great reply; gives me something to think about!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 22, 2012, 6:56 PM   #4

I guess "fine" is the best the camera can do... and "Raw" gives you the opportunity to have a go and maybe do better..!?
Of course even in jpeg/fine you still have several image parameters to experiment with (sharpness/noise reduction/white balance etc...)- all of which can affect the final jpeg output.
Shooting Raw just allows more finite adjustment in post processing and you can tailor your images to suit your taste.

I was recently shooting with my FZ-150 in RAW- merely for experimentation- and I found that very little was to be gained by it. So I'll be sticking with jpeg from now on..!
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:00 PM   #5
csa

"I was recently shooting with my FZ-150 in RAW- merely for experimentation- and I found that very little was to be gained by it. So I'll be sticking with jpeg from now on..! "

Very interesting indeed!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:16 PM   #6

I think I read someplace that untouched Raw looks bad, but can be mad great with PP. Is this right?

I only shoot JPG because Raw files are so huge, and I rarely have a lot of time or patience to work with Raw. This is probably the wrong answer, and I should learn how to work with Raw.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2012, 8:05 PM   #7
csa

Saly, no such thing as a wrong answer! I've been very hesitant to try RAW; don't ask me why; it's not that the camera would explode!

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:15 AM   #8

saly- untouched RAW taken with the FZ-150 don't look bad- in fact they look nice and clean without any sharpening applied. I suspect however, that many would perceive this look as "soft"- especially for the pixel peepers amongst us.
Where I found using RAW advantageous was in higher iso shooting, where I could apply as much or as little luminance/chroma noise reduction as I felt necessary.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2012, 3:21 PM   #9

G'day all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
.... I was recently shooting with my FZ-150 in RAW- merely for experimentation- and I found that very little was to be gained by it. ...
@Simon - With the exception of 'rescuing' some god-awful-badly-underexposured images, this mirrors my experiences as well

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote