Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 27, 2012, 6:24 PM   #1

Default New Panasonic DMC-FZ150K

For Christmas i got a new Panasonic DMC-FZ150. I will need help in what SDHC Flash memory card to buy? What lens filter to buy? Where to buy a spare battery & a nice camera case.
Thanks,
Willis
WillisQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2012, 9:52 PM   #2

Congratulations Willis on the new camera. First thing is just go out and enjoy the camera, then decide what you need.

jj
Old Dec 27, 2012, 11:32 PM   #3

Hi Willis, and congrats on your new toy! JJ is right, get to know your camera first.

I use a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 card and works great. You don't need a class 10, I did not see any difference. Spare battery is a hit and miss if you buy non-Panasonic. I've had bad and good luck with reputable brands. Filter will depend on what type of photography you like to do. While nice to have, you don't really need a Polarizer or ND filters most of the time. If you like macro, you may want to pick up a conversion lens like the LC-55 or Raynox.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2012, 2:44 PM   #4

Thanks JJ & Saly.
I will try to find a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 card. I just wanted to find a filter for the lens mainly for protection. It will be a while until i would use a macro.
Old Dec 28, 2012, 3:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisQ View Post
Thanks JJ & Saly.
I will try to find a Sandisk Ultra Class 6 card. I just wanted to find a filter for the lens mainly for protection. It will be a while until i would use a macro.
Ah OK, there are different arguments about filters for protection. Some people say that clear UV filters degrades image quality on digital cameras. I'm not sure why. I do use a Hoya UV filter on mine, because I want to protect the main lens. Some day I will shoot comparison images with and without the filter and see if there is a difference.

It is good to get a spare battery, nothing worse than having your battery die in the middle of an outing!

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:38 PM   #6

Saly,
I found a San Disk Elevate 32gb Ultra Performance SDHC Card at Target for $24.99. I hope this card is ok. Amazon has a lens bundle kit for $59.95, it has a macro lens, 2x telephoto lens, 3pc filter kit, a case & 57" tripod. I wonder if that would be worth it? This camera is way over my head, i will need some help figuring out how to use this camera.
Thanks,
Willis
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillisQ View Post
Saly,
I found a San Disk Elevate 32gb Ultra Performance SDHC Card at Target for $24.99. I hope this card is ok. Amazon has a lens bundle kit for $59.95, it has a macro lens, 2x telephoto lens, 3pc filter kit, a case & 57" tripod. I wonder if that would be worth it? This camera is way over my head, i will need some help figuring out how to use this camera.
Thanks,
Willis
Willis, if you are new to photography ("this camera is way over my head"), then I encourage you to become familiar and comfortable with it before you start to add accessories. $59.95 is extremely cheap and I would be nervous about getting sub-par items that will cause you more problems than good. When I first started taking pictures (not very long ago, with my FZ35), here is how I got started:

1. Try to stop using the iA mode and start using the P mode
2. Adjust the ISO 100 - 400 in most light condition. Use higher ISO only when light is very limited. Your images will start to get grainy over 800.
2. Use One-area Focus setting and adjust to smallest area size. Use Multiple area Metering.

That is about all. The rest is all practice, just take as many shots as possible, and you will start to find your sweet spot. Post shots here and ask for suggestions on how to improve. Once you are comfortable, start experimenting with other settings. That's how I learned