Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:44 AM   #11

Default reply to 717FAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 717FAN View Post
Thanks, dpmonk. What tele setting do you think these were done at? Me, I can hear birds sing but seldom can spot them in the trees.

In the 70's Leitz binoculars were popular for birders. Are they still revered? (I'm assuming that you are a birder. I'm not, but I met a lot of them when I represented Hasselblad many years ago.)

Also enjoyed seeing you got these images in McAllen. We live in Corpus Christi.
Both pictures were at max zoom levels (not into digital) somewhere equivilant to 1000mm in conventional 35mm camera. First picture was in shadows but did have some sunlight. Second one, the Green Jay, was on a very overcast day. I am still learning the camera but one thing I notice is that at the long zoom levels you really don't get very good results by cropping compared to my DSLR. However the ease of use and light weight more than make up for the slightly less detail. I do a lot of my traveling by motorcycle and the D90 with two lenses really take up a lot of room. I am including a picture of my GSD taken in the sunlight to show more of what the camera is capable of. Overall I am extremely satisfied. Focus at 600mm is very fast, comparable to my Nikon. Quite a bit slower at the I Zoom range though.
Attached Images

dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 6:38 PM   #12

I agree 717 has some valid points, I don't need a bucketful of pixels, I couldn't care less about GPS and video, Just give me a point and shoot with easy to change controls, a good macro and zoom, my FZ50 comes pretty close to a perfect camera, but I didn't need all the special modes, PASM is quite sufficient. I just needed a wider angle lens. The most important factor for making a masterpiece is not in the camera alone, it is getting the perfect light. The best pic;s I ever made were with Minolta and Kowa film cameras, sadly In this modern age they are unaffordable to operate.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:52 PM   #13

Default Fz50

I had a FZ50 which I gave to my daughter to use after I bought my D90 with a couple of zoom lenses that give me about what the FZ200 does. Looking back at old pictures, some of the best ones I ever got were with the FZ50, which is why I decided to give the FZ200 a shot. Like 717, I couldn't find one to put in my hands so I took a chance and ordered it for $499.

I have to say that in shooting in low light and the ability to focus quickly the FZ200 is light years ahead. However I really did like the manual zoom on the FZ50 better. Shooting indoors with no flash, the D90 with Tamron 18-270 zoom is superior to the FZ200. I took video of my 2 and 4 yr old grandkids at Christmas (MP4) with the FZ200 and I really like it. The Nikon took video also but I never really used it much, but on the Lumix it is so easy I am sure I will do a lot more video.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:10 AM   #14

OK, I guess it's time to show what I expect from a camera. Here are a few sample pics from my Sony F717. Two outdoors in open shade and one indoors with bounce flash.

Any new camera I would get should at least equal this resolution quality. Hopefully the Panasonic FZ200 can.

The resolution posted in this forum thread does not show that you can count the individual hairs and textures (wrinkles and pores) on the faces.

However, full HR images have been posted on Flickr. Please let me know if your FZ200 camera can deliver similar details. Look for the BobBobber photostream on Flickr, or the links are as follows:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating-and-fishing/8338633761/sizes/k/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating-and-fishing/8338635547/sizes/k/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating-and-fishing/8339693220/sizes/h/in/photostream/

Last edited by 717FAN; Jan 2, 2013 at 4:38 PM. Reason: HR images now avaiable on Flickr
717FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2013, 12:15 AM   #15

On another forum in dpreview, one person posted that he solved the eye cup problem on his FZ150 with an eye cup from a Song camcorder DCR-PC100. Posted with photos by Lil g on July 22, 2012. Looks good.

But the eye cup for the FZ200 is no the same. Has anybody tried the Sony eye cup on the FZ200 to see if it fits AND will stay on?
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:27 PM   #16

I got lucky and a local shop happened to have the fz200 in stock, which lead to me getting some hands on time with it, the sx50, the sony hd? and nikons.
Didn't really take all that long to chose the fz200 over the others.
RandTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandTx View Post
I got lucky and a local shop happened to have the fz200 in stock...
What shop, where, please?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:01 AM   #18

I'm really sorry to be negative on this but the dog pic doesn't look at all sharp to me almost as though the camera needed a tripod or struggled with focus.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 9:35 AM   #19

Default exif data

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
I'm really sorry to be negative on this but the dog pic doesn't look at all sharp to me almost as though the camera needed a tripod or struggled with focus.
the dog picture was at 1/200, f4, 100 iso, and 91.5mm or 508mm in dslr land.

I think the eyes are the focal point. and the lack of sharpness is a depth of field issue. I am still learning but find the fz200 cannot be used at anywhere near the iso levels as my D90 does, and shot at the same iso levels and similar zoom levels I would expect the Nikon to be much sharper because it use smaller apeture and faster shutter speed.

But being a amateur who just wants good pictures especially at higher telephoto numbers for shooting birds and wildlife and wiggly grandkids the fz200 is so much more convenient than the nikon with a 500mm lens it is worth the tradeoff to me.

Another thing is the posted picture is not as clear as the original when you reduce the pic from 4.8mb to 392kb.
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:31 AM   #20

I know what you mean about loss of sharpness when posting because I usually have the same problem. I am the same as you in as much as I am just an amateur retired guy who likes to take nice pics that will print off/ look good on the TV and my PC .I'm not a pixel peeper and I dont print A3 or posters just A4 or 5x7 but I don't like blurry pics very much.
I have the F7 as a back up camera and in the right conditions it's great. I'm very interested in the FZ200 as a back up to my D 5100 which is fantastic in low light.
Any pics taken with the FZ200 and I'm looking closely, to be honest after carrying the Nikon + the 18-200mm + tripod around all day the FZ200 is sounding attractive.
As a matter of interest I put the dog pic onto P/S/Es and sharpened it a bit and it looked a lot better.I don't know if you had already sharpened it in P/S or in camera.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote