Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:01 PM   #21

You've lost me there Tullio, perhaps we are talking at cross purposes.
I meant if possible get closer to your subject, as it is always better than cropping imho.
Holster + Shoulder Bag.
Beike carbon 4 section tripod/monopod
Gorillapod SLR Zoom + BH1 ball head
Panasonic FZ1000
Panasonic FZ200
Nissin D i40 Flash
+ SLR Gorillapod
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:27 PM   #22

Default Izoom vs digital zoom

According to Panasonic they aren't the same, Panasonic's claim is that the izoom suffers no loss in quality as opposed to digital zoom. Standard zoom is equal to 600mm from a 108mm lens. I wonder how they do that. Then the izoom gets you to 1200mm from a 108mm lens. Then it goes into digital zoom, which by cropping in acdsee and picassa seems to be useless.

I have some clear pictures at the 1200mm zoom levels, but focus is slower. I just sold my 50-500mm Sigma zoom since this camera seems to do what I need it to, but I do plan on doing some experimenting with the D90 and a Tamron 18-270 zoom before I decide if I want to sell that camera too.

Last edited by dpmonk; Jan 7, 2013 at 7:35 PM. Reason: correction
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 8:52 PM   #23

On Jan 15, 2012, in this forum, J C Brown posted details on the EZ and digital zoom. Would this apply to what some of you are discussing in reference to the various pseudo zoom capabilities? Brown's post had indepth information, which seems credible. However, I'd rather read what you experts think about it before trying to wade thru it myself.
717FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadshot View Post
You've lost me there Tullio, perhaps we are talking at cross purposes.
I meant if possible get closer to your subject, as it is always better than cropping imho.
I thought you meant zooming in (as a reference to "getting closer") as opposed to cropping.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:07 AM   #25

EZ zoom and digital zoom is a waste of time- no matter what camera it's on.
Most camera's are simply cropping the image via digital zoom and the "EZ" version is no different- merely duplicating what you can on your camera/computer after the event.
Intelligent zooms and such like also crop- but add a tad of noise reduction here,a dab of sharpening here- in a vain,but fruitless,attempt to conceal the fact that it is just another digital crop...!
I'd steer clear of using ANY form of zoom other than true optical zoom.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:22 PM   #26

Default Simon40

ok, so i zoom and digital zoom is useless, so how does Panasonic / Leica get from 108mm to 600mm? Isn't that done by internal cropping?

Actually I have found it easier to focus in some cases better using the i zoom 1200mm than the so called normal zoom of 600mm. In cases where there was lots of clutter and I had to home in on what I wanted in focus, which were birds in trees and brush and stuff.

I am not a photographer, I just have a hobby of collecting all the bird pictures I can. I have quite a collection now, some of them of very poor quality but good enough for identification purposes.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
ok, so i zoom and digital zoom is useless, so how does Panasonic / Leica get from 108mm to 600mm? Isn't that done by internal cropping?
This is way over-simplified, but works good enough for a basic answer to this question I think.

First off, the 600mm is based on what a picture would look like if you had a 600mm lens on a 35mm film camera. Or, a digital camera with a sensor the same size as a piece of film. If you had that 108mm panasonic lens mounted on a film camera the picture would be 108mm in size, a bit over 1/6th the size of what you get from the 600mm lens. (more or less) But, the Panasonic sensor is almost six times smaller than the 35mm film, so a smaller portion of the image the lens sees is put on the sensor. So it looks larger. You could call it internal cropping, but it isn't exactly that.

Like I said, a very simple explanation. You can google a ton of articles on this topic, and get into all sorts of arguments with film people over it.
Steve
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:12 PM   #28

Default Thanks for the explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_peasant View Post
This is way over-simplified, but works good enough for a basic answer to this question I think.

First off, the 600mm is based on what a picture would look like if you had a 600mm lens on a 35mm film camera. Or, a digital camera with a sensor the same size as a piece of film. If you had that 108mm panasonic lens mounted on a film camera the picture would be 108mm in size, a bit over 1/6th the size of what you get from the 600mm lens. (more or less) But, the Panasonic sensor is almost six times smaller than the 35mm film, so a smaller portion of the image the lens sees is put on the sensor. So it looks larger. You could call it internal cropping, but it isn't exactly that.
Thanks for an answer that is understandable even to me. I seem to remember something like that about the i zoom or whatever it was called on my fz50, something along the line that the image was made on a smaller portion of the sensor.

I thought it was magic. But in the real world, I am getting some better pictures at longer zooms than I did with my SLR and 50-500 zoom Hand held! And my arms and back aren't killing me at the end of the day.
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 2:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Would you please review the links below and reply if your FZ200 can deliver comparable quality? Thanks, I'd appreciate it.
Hi 717FAN,

Here are some FZ200 images that were taken of the moon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5437751...in/photostream

[Handheld at 1/125 f3.2_rotated 21] was taken from the original [Handheld at 1/125 f3.2]

I'm very pleased with the Panasonic FZ200 and it's Leica lens!

~fz50 fan~
capnblinski is offline   Reply With Quote