Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1

Default Resolution and Detail from Panasonic DMC-FZ200

In a previous thread, "Mysterious Panasonic DMC-FZ200", I posted links to some high-res pics from my Sony DMC-F717 camera to inquire if the FZ200 camera had the ability to deliver comparable detail.

Well, nobody responded to that inquiry, so I decided to pose this question one last time. I need to put this topic to rest, by buying the FZ200 or by keeping my Sony.

I am poised and ready to buy the Panasonic DMC-FZ200 immediately, because I am attracted by its feature set. However, some of the camera reviewers were a bit critical of the FZ200 image quality. (My Sony got better reviews.) Plus, since my Sony camera has aperture range of f-2.0 to f-2.4, it's faster than the FZ200 lens. Therefore lens speed is not a deal-breaking advantage with the FZ200.

Would you please review the links below and reply if your FZ200 can deliver comparable quality? Thanks, I'd appreciate it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating-and-fishing/8338633761/sizes/k/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boating...n/photostream/

If the links don't work, check my BobBobber photostream on Flickr.

Last edited by 717FAN; Jan 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Correct link
717FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2013, 1:41 PM   #2

The reviews for the F717 and the FZ200 are not really comparable- as they both had quite different "opposition" at the time- and certainly comparing the two cameras mentioned today would be an unfair fight.
Yes,the 717's lens is faster- but effectively doesn't have a wide angle and comes up way short of the FZ200's 600mm- at a still impressive f/2.8.
Focus speeds have improved massively over the 717's lifespan- as have processing speeds,high iso noise control etc.... not to mention HDR modes,effective movie modes and goodness knows what else.
Make no mistake- the 717 takes a nice picture in good light,with a very nice smooth texture- but I'd be amazed if the FZ200 couldn't match the resolution of the 717,or indeed the overall IQ.
Nevertheless, if you're quite happy with the "not so wide" and "not so long" reach of the 717's lens and you like the results it produces- stick with it..!

A couple of pics with the "older" but similar FZ-150...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4197640...n/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4197640...n/photostream/

Of course, if someone could come in with some FZ-200 samples, all the better..

Last edited by SIMON40; Jan 4, 2013 at 1:46 PM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 2:45 PM   #3

Thanks for the pics Simon! Look good. I can count the feathers on the gull. Great.

As you mentioned, the more versatile zoom is a big attraction with the FZ200. The HD video is a wonderful option on the FZ200. The video on the F717 is useless.

Plus, you brought up an important aspect that I have wondered about, but never could get a straight answer from the reviewers.

Were the standards for testing and evaluation in 2002 less stringent than they are in 2012? Could the F717 receive as high marks in 2012? How would have the FZ200 ranked in 2002? Resolution, sharpness, colors, etc. would be the bases for comparison. Obviously, zoom ranges, HD video, extra special effects were not even dreamed of in 2002 by most camera brands.

As you mentioned, let's hope we get some pics posted from the FZ200.

FYI . . . My personal demands for photo quality for people pics differ from pics of other subject matter. Most of my photography involves people. I'm retired, no longer earning my living as a photographer, so I can enjoy capturing images that please me and others.

Ever since studying for an MA in Photography in the 1960's, I enjoyed the challenge of photographing people and events which involved people. Before that, I did the nature and architecture fun stuff, as I found common in several photographic clubs I joined. When I worked for GM as a commercial photographer, I was concerned about making shiny metal and industrial processes look interesting. Most people would not give a second glance at photos of an engine block or metallurgical lab test examples of corrosion on various metal alloys. But, hey, it paid the bills.

Last edited by 717FAN; Jan 4, 2013 at 3:05 PM. Reason: People pics added
Old Jan 4, 2013, 4:04 PM   #4

I wonder- if you mainly shoot people (thus,maybe not needing 600mm..?), would some of the new breed of fast lens compacts not suffice..?
Canon's G15 with its f/1.8-2.8 28-140mm lens or Nikon's P7700 with its f/2-4 28-200mm lens.
As for engine blocks... they work for me- I used to re-condition engines...
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Simon, Thanks for your thoughtful recommendations. The lens speed of the G15 is an attraction.

However, I rely on an EVF and articulated LCD.

EVF in case I'm in bright sunlight.

And a tilting LCD because I take many photos while looking down at the screen, not staring at the people. I find people are less aware that their photo is being taken if I look down than when I look thru the camera's EVF held at eyelevel. I enjoy recording people as they are, without having them "smile at the birdie."

I wonder if that'd work for you in your wildlife photos; i.e., if the birds were not aware that you were looking their way.. Have you ever tried that?

It's a pleasure to chat with another enthusiast and share information! Thanks, Simon for chiming in.

On another nnote, since you were involved in the auto industry, if you can find a copy of "History of Flint Manufacturing" from 1983, I was the author and chief researcher. Received the Award of Excellence for GM's 75th Anniversary publications. Probably less than a year later, I was laid off permanently in one of GM's reduction and re-organizational frenzies. Go figure . . .

In a few years that layoff turned into a blessing as I entered yet another phase of my working life in preparation for retirement.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 4:07 AM   #6

I also find an EVF (or optical) invaluable- as I shoot many fell races/cross country meets etc- a must for moving targets.
The tilting LCD is also "must have"- excellent for low macro's or indeed secret "candid" people shots..!
I take it by "Flint" you mean in Michigan- and not the materials used in ancient man's tools...?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
csa

"As you mentioned, let's hope we get some pics posted from the FZ200.
"

There have been several threads here by new owners of the FZ200, posting their images.

~Pentax K10D~
~FZ40~
csa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:51 PM   #8

I have a Sony R1 and a couple Panasonic FZ models but not the latest. The R1 is a successor or the 717 and although it's a wonderful camera capable of producing excellent IQ, it is old technology (as is the 717) and as such, it does have its fair number of limitations (as does the 717). I will never sell my R1 because I think it's a one-of-a-kind type of camera. However, its size, weight and limitations such as zoom range and slow AF speed made me store it for posterity. So far, I haven't been totally impressed with the FZ200 IQ at the long range of the zoom. Images tend to lack contrast and definition. I had the FZ20 way back when, which had one similarity with the FZ200...its f2.8 across the entire zoom range lens. The thing is, it's a lot easier to build a 12x zoom lens with such characteristic than a 24x one.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 1:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
I take it by "Flint" you mean in Michigan- and not the materials used in ancient man's tools...?

Right you are. However, Flint, MI, has gone back to the dark ages since I was there. When I worked there, it was the world's largest area with the numbers of GM facilities. Now, there are few, as most plants have been relocated to other states. Some think that was a long-in-coming retaliation from GM, since Flint was the site of the first auto workers strike, which resulted in the formation of the United Auto Workers.

When I noticed where you are from, that reminded me that this is an international forum. Thanks.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 2:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by csa View Post
There have been several threads here by new owners of the FZ200, posting their images.
Thanks for that Carol. I have seen a few FZ200 pics posted here and other places; however, few of those featured people. But I'll snoop around to see if I can find more.

However, if the pics are not available online in HR, such as possible in Flickr, I cannot see the details in the images that I am looking for. Most chat forums limit the sizes of images, and for good reason.

For another purpose, I have uploaded several YouTube videos, and the HR ones look so much better.

I suppose that most of what I do in photography is meant to be seen online or on 16:9 format televisions. While my fancy Canon printer makes excellent quality prints, I seldom use it to do that.

But I will follow up on your advice to look for FZ200 pics.