Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:20 PM   #1

Default Newbie with FM150

Hi folks,
After the eventual failiure of my Konica/Minolta A2, and the disappointing purchase of a Fujifilm s2950, I have recently spent many hours reading camera reviews and forums in search of a bridge camera to suit my needs and diminished wallet.

I have just joined the forum, because I feel I owe you all a very big "Thank You" for the inspiring threads I have been reading in this section of the forum for the past couple of weeks, the photos posted by owners of the FZ150 has been a great help in my decision of what camera to buy.

After making the decision, I ordered a FZ150, and after a 6 day wait (a very difficult time as I am an impatient sort of person) the camera arrived. It was afternoon, so after the battery was charged, it was already dark. I had a hard job sleeping that night, looking forward to venturing forth into the sunshine the weatherman had promised us and experimenting with the new camera. The photo below illustrates the wonderful weather we have had for the past 4 days

Attached Images

John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:14 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum John and congratulations on the new camera, I think you will enjoy it.

Been looking for a used one to upgrade from the FZ35, hope to find one soon.

jj
Old Jan 9, 2013, 3:41 PM   #3

That's a nice capture. I just don't care for the large title at the bottom...it's very distracting.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 8:42 PM   #4

G'day John

Firstly - welcome to Steve's > you'll find a nice and helpful mob of people here to talk to about 'the love of your life'

I really do like your photo above - the grey colour does work well with the subject
I also agree with @T above about the title - if you want to include one, maybe make it a bit smaller in font size

Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:32 PM   #5

Thank you for the welcome JJDog2, I think I will be very happy for the FZ150. I have managed to get a few photos in the gloom, and today the sun burst out for a few moments, so I took a couple of photos in the back garden, and I must say, I am impressed, the colour and sharpness were wonderful, the sharpness and detail was something that seemed to be lacking with the Finepix s2950 - although it did really bring the sky and cloud formations to life ! I haven't been able to take any shots with dramatic cloud formations with the FZ150 so I am praying that they will be as good. They promise us a sunny day with clouds tomorrow, so hopefully I will soon find out !

Your FZ35 takes amazing photos ! I really enjoyed your "Winter Walk". I managed to get the FZ150 online at 33% of its normal price as it was on offer, maybe they were clearing out stock before they start stocking the FZ200 (I think we are a little bit behind developments, here in Denmark.)

For Tullio:-
I quite agree with you, and thank you for your honest comment. I have a lot to learn, about composing pictures, finding interesting subjects etc., and not least learning how to get the best from my new camera.
Your reply prompted me to think more about the bridge photo, and I realised that instead of seeing something and taking a photo or two from different angles etc. I also need to take a number of shots using the different effects which the camera offers me. For example, when I took the photo of the bridge, why didn't I take a couple of shots in monochrome? Duh !
So I loaded the original photo in Paintshop Pro, and hopefully this will be more pleasing to your eye
Old Jan 9, 2013, 9:32 PM   #6

Nice picture. Regarding your wait until dawn to take pictures; why? One of the things I have liked about all my FZ cameras is they have a very fine flash. I use mine often. Change settings on it now and then as needed, but am quite fond of it.
Steve
Old Jan 10, 2013, 12:51 PM   #7

I personally never shoot in monochrome. Why? Because I can easily turn a color picture into B&W using filters and such. Just about any photo editor (including all the free ones) will do that. However, I can't colorize a B&W image.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 7:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_peasant View Post
Nice picture. Regarding your wait until dawn to take pictures; why? One of the things I have liked about all my FZ cameras is they have a very fine flash. I use mine often. Change settings on it now and then as needed, but am quite fond of it.
Steve
In answer to your question Steve, I love taking landscape and outdoor shots, and was eager to see how well a sunny day with a smattering of cloud would come out with the FZ150, for some odd reason I have recently become obsessed with cloud formations. I hardly ever use a flash or take indoor shots. I will admit that I did take a few test shots indoors when the battery was charged, and after I had aquainted myself with the menus etc. but I was most looking forward to getting outdoors in daylight... discovering the fog caused a bit of dismay, but I decided to see if I could use it to my advantage.
John.

The sun eventually put in an appearance today, after a long shower of snow this morning, and I was able to take 10 minutes free from shopping to visit the local harbour and take some shots. I must say that I am over the moon with the quality of the images, and am so glad that I chose the FM150.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:58 PM   #9

Default shooting indoors with no flash

I am getting pretty bad results shooting indoors with no flash. The colors seem to be pretty off. From yellow to reds. With flash colors are very natural. Seems to be worse than my N D90 indoors with no flash.

Any suggestions?

I like the bridge picture. After spending many hours lost in Sabine Lake (actually a bay on the gulf coast) the bridge was beautiful when we finally found it!!
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpmonk View Post
I am getting pretty bad results shooting indoors with no flash. The colors seem to be pretty off. From yellow to reds. With flash colors are very natural. Seems to be worse than my N D90 indoors with no flash.

Any suggestions?
Play with white balance. Either find a setting that matches the lighting where you are shooting or set it manually, which is quite easy with an FZ camera.