Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2013, 8:13 PM   #1

Default Down at the harbour.

The sun finally shone today
A drive to town to do some shopping gave me an excuse to grab my new FZ150 and spend a few minutes taking test pics in better conditions than thick fog. I am happy to report that after taking various random photos over that past few day in all sorts of dismal conditions, fog, rain, snow and now at last the magical golden sunshine one gets near the end of the day, I am extremely pleased with the image quality, and am so very happy that I chose this camera. Here are a couple of pics from the local harbour.
1. A friends mussel boat.

2. A clip from a photo taken at approx 12x optical zoom and IA. Sorry, it's somewhat plain in comparison to alot of the birds that appear in this forum !
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:38 PM   #2

Cool shots, like the color in the first. Any PP on these?
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 5:56 AM   #3

Now that's more like it, rich colours in the first one, hope you are remembering your settings, some may say the reds are a trifle overpowering, but I like it, Looking forward to some cloud shots with polarised blue sky, I am sure you are not going to dissapoint me.
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 AM   #4

That first shot is very nice!

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 1:32 PM   #5

Thank you for the kind comments, any advice will be gratefully received ! Although I am no stranger to using a camera, I have mostly kept to capturing images of scenes I have enjoyed (see something, take a shot or two and move on) or use my camera in conjunction with my hobby. Since finding this forum, I have found that I am more inspired to do better, and look at things in a different way, so I hope you be tolerant of my mistakes and possible stupid questions.

To Outofline99 :-
No there was no PP on those images, apart from resizing in Paintshop pro, and adding 22% compression to reduce the file size.
The first shot really did look like that. Here in the winter, approx 1 hours before the sun goes down on a cool/cold day, we sometimes get a beautiful warm golden light. This is the first camera I have had that seems to capture it perfectly.
One thing I have noticed is that I have not had to do any PP on the majority of the photos I have taken with the FZ150, they look good straight from the camera. The colour range seems to be pretty well spot on with the scenes I have captured up to now. Images from my previous cameras have needed to have a little PP done on most of the images, such as light, contrast, noise reduction, fill flash etc, so I am glad to save some time now !

To Grounded:-
Uhm...err.. I captured both images in IA mode
I think I might disappoint you in the near future, as I do not have a polarizing filtre for this camera yet. The filtres from my other camera don't fit
However some of the photos I took yesterday where there was some cloud formation looked quite good to me, I shall have to wait until some dramatic formations appear, and see how well the camera deals with it. I daren't buy a filtre yet, my wife is just getting over my buying a new camera, albeit at a reasonable price !

To Saly :-
And to think I put that second pic in, with you in mind
Well I understand really. It was a bit common and plain looking. I had hoped it would stand on one leg, hopped about a bit or done something entertaining, but it just stood there ! There were two originally, but one disappeared when I turned the camera on !

John.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 8:38 PM   #6

Look good John, I think you are going to have fun.

jj
Old Jan 13, 2013, 10:21 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Look good John, I think you are going to have fun.

jj
Thanks JJ, I think so too.
I've been "wowed" quite a few times already ! The image stabilization works really well, nice sharp details on full zoom.

John.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 8:28 PM   #8

Nice, especially the part where you have a friend with a mussel boat. I love mussels. And gulls for that matter. I rather like my FZ150 and expect you will have lots of good times with yours.
Steve